Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3TB Barracude with really slow speeds

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shasoosh

Shasoosh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

I returned a faulty 3TB Barracude and got a new one recently (ST3000DM001)
I'm trying to figure out why this drive is so slow. (Read is really slow)
Here are my results:

t9FeVGf.png

From reading online I should be getting something close to this:

ATTO-Seagate-Barracuda-3TB-HDD-ST3000DM0

I've tried different sata cables, different sata ports, different power cables, etc'. The drive is on AHCI mode.

Should I try anything else or is that another fault drive?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

It's not just about the hard drive it's about other system hardware as well. In that second picture the machine also has a Intel i7 and a nice motherboard and probably a good chunk of memory. A high performance system is going to move more data much more quickly

Edited by technonymous, 18 May 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#3 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

I forgot to mention that I also own a nice motherboard and i7-4770. I don't think that's the problem. With my SSD and another drive I get pretty much the same results reviewers have posted. 

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Definitely keep it in AHCI mode. What format is the drive? I would try diffrent settings in that benchmark so it tests 512k and 4000k cluster size. or try a different benchmark tool. Update firmware, drivers etc. Download the seatool  and do a surface scan on it. The drive is connected internal and not in a enclosure right? I would also update the motherboard controller drivers and bios updates. If you have other drives that generally benchmark better than this drive, then it's likely faulty. I read mixed reviews on this paticular drive and many have ditched seagate. Many of the 3TB drives outright died a couple months after purchase. How was the drive packaged? I have seen a lot of horrifying things when it comes to packaging.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

My first guess is that DMA is not enabled for this device.  Is this windows 7 can you provide us with a speccy of your system?

How to speccy

How to enable DMA windows 7

1. Open the explorer (STRG+E)
  2. Right-click on “Computer” and click on “Manage”
  3. Click on “Device Manager”
  4. Uncollapse IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  5. Right-click on any label where “Channel” is part of the name – Click on Properties
  6. Go to the Advanced Settings tab, under Device Properties check “Enable DMA”

#6 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

It may well be another bad drive.  Seagate 3Tb are currently the drives with the highest failure rates on the market.  Especially ST3000DM01 models.  Most only are lasting a year or two at best.  You're much better off RMA'ing it and get yourself a good HGST or Toshiba drive instead.

#7 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

The drive is in ACHI mode and DMA is enabled.

Here are 2 tests one after the other. If I'm reading this correctly the drive gets really slow on 3 places. Is that enough proof to get that drive replaced?

7VgtVMe.png

cC9UuBH.png

#8 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

From that chart, I'd also say that it's possibly just a background process that's interfering.  Is there anything installed/stored on the drive that might be getting accessed by another program?

#9 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

Ok, some findings. I recently installed a new firewall called Windows 10 Firewall Control . For some reason when that was installed a proccess called LMS.exe (Intel related) was eating up CPU more than it should.

After removing the firewall I run another HD Tune test. The CPU usage is now low but the drops are still there and the drive is sill slow when moving files \ extracting files.

xQSh2xL.png

Edited by Shasoosh, 19 May 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

You should check SMART errors.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

I had already asked for a speccy profile which would have included any smart errors but he did not provide one.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 19 May 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#12 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

I had already asked for a speccy profile which would have included any smart errors but he did not provide one.

Sorry about that! I was sure I pasted it.

Here you go: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/srcA2cWEATfZBp85U0rZ8Jo

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

It does appear like there is something wrong as your average transfer rates are much lower than the benchmarks posted.  I suppose the last resort would be contacting seagate.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

What is strange is the spikes on both charts are occuring at 900gB intervals.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 May 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

That would mean something else is accessing the drive during the test. I would turn eveything off in msconfig and firewall antivirus stuff temporarily and do another benchmark. The sequential speed for read is terrible, but the write is spot on. I would RMA this thing I was you. When in doubt throw it out.

Edited by technonymous, 20 May 2015 - 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users