Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting files in the OneDrive Folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

What happens if I delete the files in my Tablet 8.1 OneDrive Folder?  Do the corresponding files in my online OneDrive get deleted too?  I very much do not want this to happen.  The files arrived in the folder after they were uploaded to OneDrive. (synced presumably?).  I set them all so they are not available offline which I understand (just about) means they are Smart Files which do not occupy storage space on my small HDD.  But if they were synced in one direction (downloaded) is what I do with them synced in the the other direction (uploaded)?   

I think it will be clear that this is something I am new too and know (too) little about!

Also, are Smart Files unique to Microsoft / Windows, or will I find this behaviour with other Cloud services?

I would be grateful for some enlightenment on this.

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

If you delete the files in the OneDrive folder they are deleted online as well. Any files that are deleted from OneDrive should be sent to the recycle bin.

OneDrive - Delete or restore files and folders

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

Thanks, that was helpful.  While researching this I learned about plans not to include the Smart Files function when Windows 10 is launched, although a version of the the facility is planned for an update later.  I will post about this in the W10 forum.

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users