Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scoot212121

Scoot212121

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

I was on the computer the other day everything was working fine, then the next day when I went to boot up, most of my Desktop Icons were missing, just the basic ones were left on, then when I went to view my files and pictures it said empty. Also as I signed on I kept getting a message in the lower right hand corner where the flag is on the toobar that said I was signed on under a temporary profile. I ran my Norton Antivirus(Power eraser also,) I ran CC Cleaner, TDSSkiller, Malwarebytes, Spybot. Slimline Cleaner, Microsoft Scaner, Recuva,  Puran File Recovery and still nothing and no viruses noted, I also diid a restore point, nothing. I no longer see the temporary profile message but still not files or pictures can be accessed.

I am not sure what to do at this point, any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Robyn in Lake Worth, FL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

If you run into anything that is different from what is described in the instructions STOP and post a reply describing what you see.

Please make sure to create a system restore point before continuing.

First, start your computer in safe mode.

Follow these instructions, from User Profile Could Not Be Loaded

To fix the user account profile, follow these steps: 

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
  1. Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
  2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  3. In the navigation pane, locate the folder that begins with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number.
  4. Click each S-1-5 folder, locate the ProfileImagePath entry in the details pane, and then double-click to make sure that this is the user account profile that has the error.

2705065.png
    • If you have two folders starting with S-1-5 followed by some long numbers and one of them ended with .bak, you have to rename the .bak folder. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Right-click the folder without .bak, and then click Rename. Type .ba, and then press ENTER.

2493038.png
      2. Right-click the folder that is named .bak, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.

2493039.png
      3. Right-click the folder that is named .ba, and then click Rename. Change the .ba to .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.

2493040.png
    • If you have only one folder starting with S-1-5 that is followed by long numbers and ends with .bak. Right-click the folder, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.
  5. Click the folder without .bak in the details pane, double-click RefCount, type 0, and then click OK.

2493045.png
  6. Click the folder without .bak, in the details pane, double-click State, type 0, and then click OK.

2493046.png
  7. Close Registry Editor.
  8. Restart the computer.
  9. Log on again with your account.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Scoot212121

Scoot212121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

Hi , I followed all of the steps and got to the point of the (Click each S-1-5 folder, locate the ProfileImagePath) and went here:

If you have two folders starting with S-1-5 followed by some long numbers and one of them ended with .bak, you have to rename the .bak folder. To do this, follow these steps:

I have the files starting with the S-1-5 but it does not end in .bak

Also my post should've stated  I m runningWindows 8.1 it didn't show up when I sent it through, Im not sure if that could be the reason, thank you.

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

If you open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Users\ what folders do you see?

#5 Scoot212121

Scoot212121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

Administrator 5/15 file folder (around time I had the issue)

Default  5/15  file folder

Default.migrated 5/15  file folder

Public  5/15 file folder

Robyn 5/17  file folder

Test 5/20  file folder

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

If you check inside the Documents, Desktop, and Pictures folders in the Public, Robyn, and Test folders, do you find any of your files?

#7 Scoot212121

Scoot212121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

No, the only pictures are icons from Windows like gifs for Wallpaper etc, but no original files or pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users