Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copy software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

I have an HP desktop with XP installed. We acquired this computer 2nd hand at a flea market and has no installation discs.We would like to upgrade to Windows 7. This computer also has Photoshop CS. If we upgrade, this will wipe out all programs not originally installed on computer. How can we save Photoshop to re-install after 7 goes in? Maybe a second hard drive? Someone mentioned making a "ghost".  If so how would this be done? We are not very knowledgeable so we will need any instruction "spelled out" for us.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hi PeggyLee :)

You don't need to "save" Photoshop before installing Windows 7 on the computer. All you need to save is the product key. Once Windows 7 has been installed, you can download Photoshop from Adobe website (at the link below) and install it. Once done, simply re-enter your product key to activate it. You won't be able to ghost a program installed for Windows XP and move it to Windows 7 like that. Ghosting is used to create system images. You would be using a Windows XP ghost on a Windows 7 system, which won't work.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Windows&product=39 - It's the first download link.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thank you so much. Sounds much simpler than we thought it would be.I will most definitely give it a try. I think I found the product key but could you tell me the best way to find it?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

I don't have any experience in installing Adobe Photoshop, but apparently if you registered your product online, or using your Adobe account, it should be on it. See this thread on Adobe forums here.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/508245?tstart=0

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

There are utilities you can use to find product keys.

One of them is Belarc Advisor. http://www.belarc.com/

Install and run it. After it scans, a webpage will open with the results.

One of the sections will be for product keys. Hopefully the one you need will be listed.

Others may be able to suggest other programs for finding the key.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:35 PM

A list of Password Recovery Tools given by Staff members that may help you ....:

Regards -

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

noknojon, most of these tools are to recover Windows passwords, not product keys from programs, which is what PeggyLee is trying to do here.

unite_blue.png

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

If you don't know the keys for installed programs...you can try KeyFinder Magical Jelly Bean - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ .

Louis

#9 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thank you to everyone for the help. I will definitely check all of these sites out.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

No problem Peggy, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:50 PM

Belarc Advisor...Be careful with the log it will create for your computer's profile. Belarc logs will show IPs, various product keys and serial numbers that should be kept private so don't post it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users