Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help upgrading a computer for a noob

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morrowky

morrowky

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/38CA98D431D926C3

From poking around this site I found crucial.  I have spent a few days cleaning up my pc on a different forum on this site.  Thanks to the help of Aura, my computer that I inherited from my family to take off to college is now virus free and running reasonably well.  At least it is usable and better than I can remember it.  I am just looking for cheap and easy ways I can upgrade this computer and also if it is worth it.  I had a co worker tell me just to junk it and go get a best buy card and get a new desktop on credit.  I would rather not.  So,  I would appreciate yalls input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Okay so from the tech specs this isn't a great computer but it isn't bad either depending on what you want to use it for.  I guess the big question is .. .what are you wanting to do with your pc that it doesn't do or doesn't do well?  This computer will never be a speed demon.  But a memory upgrade in your case this system only comes with 2 gig of ram .. adding another 2 gig will give you 4 gig.  Which for windows .. you would probably notice applications load faster.  But not at break neck speed that is possible of today.  For only 15 bux for more memory this might be a ' nice ' upgrade but you won't see a huge improvement.  Noticible probably but not huge.

Depending on what you want to use this computer for ... a memory upgrade would be good.  If your looking to play some recent games on it though.  I would go for a complete new system.

#3 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

damn.  So a computer than can run recent games will at the cheapest be 600 bucks?  And from crucial it looks like to add 2 gigs its 30 bucks and that would only allow me quicker normal stuff  but not gaming. 

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

What is your PC's full configuration?

A bit of Internet searching for a configuration reveals that PC is from mid-2007, so it is a bit out-of-date.  A PC that can play recent games will probably be around $600 or so.  If you are just wanting a home office PC, you may be able to get one less expensive.  Which games are you playing and at what visual quality are you wanting to play them at?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users