Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCNA or Network+? Also need advice about S+

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Happy Monday Everybody,

I am thinking about getting certified. I want to manage a server/network for a small office professionally. What materials should I start reading and testing for? CCNA or Net+ or both? and just curious but can someone please explain to me what the Security plus would be about? I'm assuming setting up a physical firewall or something but there can't be a whole book about that. Maybe just network security? I'm a novice to the networking side of IT and I have finally been granted a great opportunity to dip my toes into the networking dark abyss. There is so much information. Removing viruses, diagnosing and fixing windows errors is absolutely nothing compared to this. Any help would be great and Thank You

have a good one everyone

-Jerry

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

A+, Network+, CCNA or Security+.  Just getting certified isn't going to get you a job, you're going to need experience also.  What you're talking is a five to ten year plan and you're also going to need a server certification if you want to be working on servers.

I'd recommend getting you're A+ and possibly Network+ and looking for an entry level position to get your feet wet.  Then after you see what is involved you can start working in the direction that you are interested.  Never take a job for the money or you'll be miserable, find a job that you enjoy.

#3 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Well, I actually have a job to get my feet wet and that's what I'm doing but I have a ton of downtime here so I would like to do some reading to keep myself tech savvy. 

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

#4 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

Thats why I said professionally. I was hired to over see a server running win server 2003 as basically just a file server but I mostly just add new users to AD and set people up to the network printers. I want to learn more than the repetitive process of adding users to AD and Connecting them to printers. I want to be able to know what I am talking about if someone asks specific questions about our network.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Well, then start out with Network+, it is generic.  Maybe look into Server+ and Security+.  Those certifications will give you a broader foundation to build upon.

#6 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thank you Kilroy. I am starting up the N+ books as we speak. The only problem I have with these comptia books (i read a few a+) is that they beat around the bush so much that I get distracted.

Comptia expects it's potential cert holders to have IRQ's memorized, and all the different variations of ram and their specifications from the beginning of time memorized. Knowing those things does not make you a technician, it makes you a mind crammed stressed out under qualified novice in the eyes of a potential employer. I literally just watched a CBT nuggets vid for the N+ and the dude talked about the OSI model for literally almost 2 hours and 90 percent of the time, he was using a massive metaphor about a kingdom. It was ridiculous.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

Check out the Exam Cram books.  They are straight to the point with very little fluff.  Now I'm going to tell you the worst part.  Once you get your certified you won't use the OSI model.  Not directly at least.  You'll use the concept, but don't need to know the specifics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users