Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi Everyone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Hooper

Mike Hooper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:26 AM

My name's Mike and I'm 73. My main Internet interests are teaching my friends basic IT skills and also the Trainz rail simulator. I found this site whilst trying to find the answer to rogue spyware programs. One of my friends has accidentally installed a rogue spyware program called AdwareAlert from Google which will not allow Lavasoft's genuine Ad-Aware to run and, I suspect, will unleash mayhem if he uses the "free" scan because it has no "uninstall" and you can't remove it through XP.

I read elsewhere that this and similar programs will inroduce trojans and a mass of pop-ups if used but, so far, I haven't been able to find an answer, not even at grc.com. It is actually blackmail because when the scan is complete the program demands $39.95 to register and "clear!!" the spyware. It looks like a complete reinstall for my friend unless there is software available to remove these pests.

Rogue spyware programs are, apparently, a comparatively recent and growing problem and tend to be found in the "Sponsored Links" section of search engines. Has anyone found any answers to these pests? If so, I would be very pleased to hear about it.
Cheers, Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

Hi Mike Hooper
and Posted Image
There is a list of rogue/suspect anti-spyware.... it can be found here.... Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware It's always best to check out any anti spyware program before downloading.
As for... 'AdwareAlert' it was on the list but now has a note saying that it was deemed to not be a rogue program anymore due to changes in the program.
This doesn't really help to remove it though, does it?

Edited by Starbuck, 05 July 2006 - 01:55 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 Mike Hooper

Mike Hooper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Starbuck
First of all apologies for putting this in the wrong forum but I found your site by chance and had to write and close down in a hurry as my wife and I were on the point of going out. I will repost this in the appropriate forum as I would like to get as many people as possible to see it. I know the spywarrior site well but this prog, which is one of a family of sites and progs put out by the same people, is a menace. Speak to you soon - in the right forum!
Mike

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

ok Mike
no problem at all...... i only answered your question generally because it was in this forum. If it had been in the right forum, we'd have gone into it in more depth. By keeping things in the right forum helps other members with simiallar problems.
Good luck and maybe we'll speak again soon :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users