Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq 6710b ungrading HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iamafreeman

iamafreeman

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

I would like to install a 500gig or 1TB HDD in my old Compaq 6710b but don't know if such a large HDD would work OK in this laptop.

The idea is to clone my existing 120 gig HDD as a back-up in case as I have lots of video and pictures of my grandchildren which are irreplaceable.

Also 120 gig is just too small these days.

Grateful for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

From this page it looks like your computer has a serial ATA (SATA) connection for the hard drive.  You should be able to purchase any size laptop drive that you want.

Depending on the age of the machine you might want to consider upgrading if the rest of the specs are similar to that machine.

#3 iamafreeman

iamafreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

From this page it looks like your computer has a serial ATA (SATA) connection for the hard drive.  You should be able to purchase any size laptop drive that you want.

Depending on the age of the machine you might want to consider upgrading if the rest of the specs are similar to that machine.

Hi, Kilroy

Thanks for the advice that's good to know.

The laptop was bought from a Microsoft re-manufacturer or whatever they are called so has Windows 7 rather than Vista which is what it had previously according to the sticky label attached to it.

It works well but the HDD is a bit small by today's standards but I didn't know if there was some mobo or other factor that might

stop a big HDD being fitted.

All I need to do now I believe is buy a new HDD, a USB powered caddy and find out which software will "clone" the entire HDD including W7 so that in the event of a major fail I have a HDD fully ready to go as a spare.

(I  will ask for advice about cloning in another thread on the forum)

The difference in price between a 500gig and a 1tb is not a lot now so might go for it!!

Many thanks for helping me with this query. 

#4 iamafreeman

iamafreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:48 AM

Hi, guys

Just realised the SATA HDD I was going to buy is 7mm not 9.5mm (which the existing one is) does anyone know if that would be compatible and fit the caddy OK or should I try to buy a 9.5mm one instead.

thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users