Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody try Slax?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

I think Slax is perfect for a USB thumb drive. Any programs you want or think you need on the go, just download the modules and put em in the modules file. The programs will load during boot. You can also choose to boot it up as a PXE server. Anybody that repairs pc's it's a nice tool to add to your kit. https://www.slax.org/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hi technonymous. I know OF Slax, but have yet to take it for a spin.

cat1092 repairs pcs for friends, family, and a small number of clients, he may find this of interest?

Thanks for the heads up, and I'll give it a whirl when I can! :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wiz

#3 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:46 AM

Yep, I have used it. My teacher in college introduced me to it years ago. It's been around a long time. I just never hear anybody mention it. It's so versatile with the modules scheme no fuss with instal/unistall. Just throw the module you want into modules folder. When you boot you have an option to use it as a PXE server. That's gold when it comes to troubleshooting on the go.

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

I Really liked Slax when i tried it a few years back...  I thought that the Modules type of pacages  was an idea more people would have taken on....Sadly Slax isn't in active development at the moment...

However  "Porteus"  uses the same Module type of thing and is based off Slackware and I was trying it out yesterday and everything worked well . I was trying the customisable ISO from the site where you can choose things like what Desktop, graphics card, certain apps, EFI or not, printing support etc.... and it downloads what you choose as the ISO....rather than a Generic ISO  which you can get if you want..  

mine was about 450mb...

It has the Frugal install and all the copy to Ram type things that Puppy has

very worth a try for anyone  I will play with it more soon .....

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

That sounds interesting. I see that there's a KDE version too.

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

I've used Slax a few times in the distant past, and was happy with it. I've tried several of the boot-to-ram style distros at least once briefly. They are very cool, and often useful for partitioning.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

That sounds interesting. I see that there's a KDE version too.

Yes, there are (or were, last I looked) four versions of Porteus I looked at for my wife's laptop, in 32-bit:

• KDE4
  • LXQt
  • Mate and
  • XFCE

ISOs range from 360MB to 400MB. I was quite impressed, but I mention this only as a comparison, as the OP'sTopic is about Slax.

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

It worked well in the computer lab because a lot of times we would throw together a desktop and wouldn't have a extra HD around or cdrom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users