Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to run windows 8.1 enterprise in a Virtual Machine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davidbehnia

davidbehnia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hey guys first post here and thanks in advance.

I'm brand new to running virtual machines and need some help. I'm trying to get 8.1 enterprise into a VM (with VMware Player) and am currently running windows 8.1 as my main operating system. It's an ISO file and I'm aware that they generally need to be burned to a disc or to a bootable drive. Is this always the case? Is there anyway that I can save an alternate operating system on the hard drive on the main one that i'm running? Also when trying to download it, it doesn't seem to give me an option as to where it should be saved. The first time trying i downloaded 8.1 enterprise and it just changed it to my main operating system and i lost everything.

Thanks!
David

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:27 PM.
Moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hi davidbehnia :)

Where are you downloading the .iso from if I may ask? If you download an .iso, it'll do like all the other files you download. It'll be saved in the folder defined in the web browser you are using to download it. Most of the time, by default, it'll be the Downloads folder. From there, you don't even need to touch the .iso. You simple need to create a VM, tell it to load the .iso in it's CD/DVD drive and make it boot from the CD/DVD-ROM when you launch the VM for the first time to launch the installation process.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 davidbehnia

davidbehnia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

Ok i believe that clears most of it up, thanks! i'm downloading it from the microsoft site, and it's definitely trying to download into my downloads folder. I just don't seem to be able to stop the download from automatically beginning and install of windows 8.1 enterprise as my main operating system. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

When you download a file, it's not executed automatically on download completion, unless you use Google Chrome, and click once on it while it downloads. And even there, if it's an .iso, the worst that will open is that you'll mount it. In order to erase your current version of Windows with a new one via an .iso, you have to do way more than simply downloading it :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 davidbehnia

davidbehnia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

I'm going to go ahead and try to download the file from somewhere else, but i'm glad i now know i don't have to put it on a disk first - especially considering the fact i don't have any on hand =)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

I suggest you to download it from Microsoft website, since it's the official source for it, so you'll know that the file is safe to use and working.

unite_blue.png

#7 davidbehnia

davidbehnia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Ok, will do and thanks.

It seems very simple and straight-forward now. I must have been too burnt out last night when trying it and executed the file accidentally. 

I'll post again when I've got it up and running!

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

No problem david, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users