Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Laptop Out of Memory on drive C

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 willy800

willy800

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

My son brought over his bosses Laptop tonight and said it was running funny.

When I started it I got a warning about disk space on drive C.

Tried to do disk cleanup, it took the cpu to 100% and just sat there.

Check the C drive and it had 32 MB of free space when I started.

Since i could not get anything  to cooperate, I checked it again (been about 20 mins) Now it says that drive C has 126 KB of free space.

Norton is installed on it and I couldn't get it to work.

Are there some tools I could put on a CD, launch from it, and try to fix this laptop?

Thank you,

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hi willy800 :)

First of all, can you check something for me? Click on the Start Menu and right-click on Computer, then select Properties. From there, click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane. Go under the System Protection tab, and click on the Configure... button. Can you tell me how much space is currently taken by the System Restore points, and what's the maximum space allocated to them?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

Space used by restore points = 0

Max space allocated = 5% (10.00 GB )

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

Alright so that's not it. Can you download and execute TFC? See how many GB of space it frees up.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

I was able to run it from a CD. Does it always take so long to finish? I checked on it after awhile, the last entry was "Windows Temp Folder emptied - 84879730", the blue circle on screen just keeps spinning and at the top of the window it says "Not Responding"

It did empty out enough to get MBAM installed. I ran it and it didn't find anything.

At 7:38 it had 1.38 GB free

Installed MBAM and checked at 7:52 it had 1.26 GB free.

Will check again in a hour or so.

Thank you,

Tim

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

Even if TFC stops responding, it's still working in the background, you just have to wait for it to complete. Also, you could use WinDirStat to identify where most of the space is taken, and by what files. You could also check if can delete them or not.

https://windirstat.info/

unite_blue.png

#7 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

Well I don't know what happened, but I went back to check on it, moved the mouse and it just shut off.

Tried to reboot and now it is in the HP Recovery/Repair screen, wanting me to do a factory reset.

So for now I am stuck until I hear from the owner as to what he wants done. I hope he made backups.

Thanks,

Tim

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

Are you able to cancel the HP Recovery and reboot it normally? There should be an option on the screen you're on. And alright, keep me updated :)

unite_blue.png

#9 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:13 AM

He decided to just wipe it clean and start over.

Thank you for your help :)

Tim

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:16 AM

No problem Tim, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users