Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Government Hacking laws expanded

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

This applies to the UK only at this time

The UK Government has been quietly changing the Anti-Hacking Laws quietly that exempt GCHQ, police, and other electronic intelligence agencies from criminal prosecution for hacking into computers and mobile phones and carrying out its controversial surveillance practices.

The details of the changes were disclosed at the Investigatory Powers Tribunal, which is currently hearing a challenge to the legality of computer hacking by UK law enforcement and its intelligence agencies.

About a year ago, a coalition of Internet service providers teamed up with Privacy International to take a legal action against GCHQ for its unlawful hacking activities.

However, the Government amended the Computer Misuse Act (CMA) two months ago to give GCHQ and other intelligence agencies more protection through a little-noticed addition to the Serious Crime Bill.

The change was introduced on June 6, just weeks after the complaint was filed by Privacy International that GCHQ had conducted computer hacking to gather intelligence that was unlawful under the CMA.

The bill that would allow GCHQ and other intelligence officers to hack without any criminal liability was passed into law on March 3, 2015 and became effective on 3rd of this month.

Source:
http://thehackernews...acking-law.html

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 May 2015 - 05:14 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

I know it's controversial, but personally it appalls me that criminals can hide behind laws that are meant to protect citizens rights.

We're not talking NSA style mass surveillance in this instance, just to allow UK law enforcement to actively countermeasure (suspected) criminals computers. This makes the playing field even imho.

Where does it end? The worried people say... well, it has begun. That is all.

We can either accept that government agencies (with all their fallibilities) will strive to protect us and work for us, or fall victim en masse to less benign organisations.

Edited by TsVk!, 17 May 2015 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users