Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now I Have A New Problem On My Other Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gazygaz

gazygaz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:14 AM

My Dad has had a computer now for 2 years with Windows XP on it and just recently we have just increased the memory and ever since he has been getting some irratating problems.

When they are on the computer it re-starts on its own, then if they use windows media player for anything that makes the computer restart and also they keep getting loads of Microsoft errors.

Does anybody know what this could be or is it probably best to restart from scratch and put windows on again?

TA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

Well off-hand I would say that if you have installed new memory and the computer is acting up it might be that the new memory might not be really compatible with what was in the machine. I would suggest removing the new ram and seeing if that solves your problem, if it does then switch the ram with what is in the machine and run the computer to see if it does the same thing. If in either case the computer runs ok then the ram is probably not going to work together properly.

#3 gazygaz

gazygaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

Well off-hand I would say that if you have installed new memory and the computer is acting up it might be that the new memory might not be really compatible with what was in the machine. I would suggest removing the new ram and seeing if that solves your problem, if it does then switch the ram with what is in the machine and run the computer to see if it does the same thing. If in either case the computer runs ok then the ram is probably not going to work together properly.

We have already tried this and it is still the same but also both sets of RAM are exactly the same
so we dont see where the problem could be..

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

Are you saying _neither_ stick of RAM works when installed by itself?

Well I guess two bad sticks of memory is possible. Anyway it needs to be ruled out. I assume when you added the extra RAM that you cleaned out the dust and double checked the seating of the memory sticks and other cards.

Go to this page and download memtest 86+. There are separate versions for making a bootable floppy or CD. The floppy is easier if your Dad's computer has a floppy drive. Read the instructions carefully, particularly if you haven't run diagnostics from a boot disk before.

Run the test on each stick of RAM individually, at least three full passes.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:31 AM

In order to figure out why you are getting random reboots, you need to make a settings change to your computer. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Setup and Recovery 'Settings'

UN check 'Automatically Restart'. Click OK.

Reboot your computer. Now when Windows detects a problem it will not automatically reboot, but rather give you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 similar numbers in parenthesis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthesis).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users