Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome & Avast wont open aol mail due to certifications

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 monticello

monticello

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

No fix from aol or chrome - no way to fix it - now?

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2015 - 06:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hi monticello :)

Did you try disabling the avast! Mail Shield module, and see if you can open the emails?

http://www.getavast.net/support/turn-off-shields

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

Do you have the same problem with Internet Explorer or Firefox?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 monticello

monticello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

I dont use Firefox or IE.  In a desperate attempt to fix something I did reinstall Avast and it did seem to resolve the issue - why I have no idea.  I did get a brief error GRRR and it disappeared - back to aol and chrome problem - my understanding is that if you dont use the proper aol address (http or https???) that is also an issue - this is all that I know!  

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

There's a know issue between avast! Web Shield module and certificate errors in the web browsers. As far as I know, it's totally random and there seems to be no apparent "fix" to it other than disabling it. If you disable avast! Web Shield module like I linked above, does it works?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

Turning off all Avast shields basically means completely turning off the whole Avast Antivirus active protection.

Mail shield checks incoming and outgoing email messages for viruses and links to malicious websites.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

After installing Avast 2015 some 3rd party mail clients...may start to show a warning message that the mail server certificate is invalid when you send and receive e-mails. The Mail Shield in Avast 2015 uses an advanced scanning method for incoming and outgoing e-mails over SSL/TLS secured connections, which works transparently for most mail clients. Therefore it normally does not need any extra configuration to work with your mail provider. However mail clients which have their own certificate stores like Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, or The Bat! need additional configuration. Otherwise, you may get warnings about invalid mail server certificates when you send and receive e-mails. To avoid such warnings about invalid mail server certificates, export the Mail Shield certificate and import it to your mail client's certificate store.

Avast 2015: Warnings about invalid mail server certificates when sending and receiving e-mails
Adding Websites to the Exclusions List

#8 Patricia Williamson

Patricia Williamson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

If you're use the oldest version of avast antivirus than this problem is occur in google chrome.You can install the updated version of avast to solve this issue.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

I imagine this is because of the changes in the version 42 of Google Chrome which modifies the trust criterias of Chrome for a certificate?

unite_blue.png

#10 monticello

monticello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

I did reinstall Avast antivirus--it was up to date but got corrupted somehow -and that seems to work for now.  With respect to Google Chrome 42 and certificates I dont know how to check that but I also reinstalled that -my computer should be spanking clean - thanks all!

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

You can check the Google Chrome version by clicking on "About Google Chrome" in the settings menu.

And no problem Monticello, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

For browser issues you should start a new topic in the Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications forum where other Chrome users can provide suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users