Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista (32bit) keeps going to BSoD - using Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mainevent

mainevent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

As of late whenever I use the mozilla/firefox browser the computer goes to a BSoD. 

Once the error is as follows:

0x00000124 (0x00000000, 0x88238020, 0xB200040, 0x00000800)

The most recent is listed in the "Problem Reports and Solution" list as:

BCCode:124

BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 84F893F0
BCP3: B2000040
BCP4: 00000800
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

I've run Malwarebytes a few times, initially it found 1700 threats, eliminated ~1400 of them.
Second time it only found 166, but eliminated them all.
Then is last time, it did not find any issues, but I am still having problems with Firefox causing BSoD.
I even ran a reset on firefox - as soon as it restarted it went to BSoD. 

I have Malwarebytes running, but the icon won't show up in the bottom right tray anymore.
I have also run a scan with Windows Security Essentials, it located only two problem files.

Win32/KipodToolsCby - is what I thought the issue was.

Computer is a Gateway Avalon-SR (M-series, 6884h), 32 bit system. 
Its quite old, and I can't locate the original Vista Install CD/DVD.
There is a 12 GB Partition on the computer - not sure what that is.
There are no restore points that I could use to revert back to. 

Please let me know what other information is required, and how to proceed. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ETA: Currently I am able to use Chrome, without any issues - but that may only be temporary. 

I have a second laptop I can work off of, if necessary. 

Edited by mainevent, 17 May 2015 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

HI,

You have two options at this stage. One is shorter and cleaner, the other longer and harder.

1. Factory restore your PC.

The way to restore Gateways is to hold down the ALT Key and repeatedly hitting f10 then it should bring you to a boot sequence screen then choose the HDD and then hold down ALT and repeatedly hit f10 again that should prompt the restore feature for gateway.

This will destroy all information and installed applications on your PC, you should back up any important data on external media (DVD, flash dish, USB HDD) before doing this.

2. Start a malware removal thread

You can attempt to remove the malware with assistance of one of our trained advisors here.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

I hope this helps,

TsVk!

#3 mainevent

mainevent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

I decided to go ahead and to a factory restore - I am just going through and competing all of the Windows updates.

It seems to have gotten hung up after the SP2 Update was complete. 

I still have version 7 of Explorer, and it is not compatible with any of the browser update sites, and won't let me d/l and run any installation files.

I have it searching for new updates, but it just seems to keep searching and not finding any new updates. 

Is this a known issue?

I understand this detracts from the original purpose of this thread...

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:01 PM

Vista updates in general are a known issue.

Have you restarted your machine again? (the old turn it off then on again trick)

#5 mainevent

mainevent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

Yeah I had done a couple restarts, that didn't change anything.

I did however try patience, and it did find more updates... the process continues.

Thanks.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

It's got something like 2GB of updates to process.... patience is definitely a virtue in this case  :thumbup2:

#7 LILJON

LILJON

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

If you can go to gateway,give them your specs ,and try putting "archives" down quite often this opens up new doors,also check to see if there is an update on your orig. bios version,this has got me out of many a situation,I know nothing about PC's, but going to archives,or obsolete drivers, sometimes gives you an update. I work on old '98-2002 laptops W/ 15 GiG hard drives, to give to kids,overseas,and found that back then you could install a 64 bit program, on a 32 bit sys.and Vice-versa, --they'll take it,but what is happening to you, is exactly the characteristics of mixing up 32-64 bit sys. I have run across. Not trying to be a Smart "A" but have found this literally  happening 100's of times, hope I'm not insulting you ,as I do not know how deep you get in to  them.  I've "Deadlocked" on some of the old ones for months, sometimes,then it becomes a career, an "it ain't goona beat me, if it takes another year,on and off,   LILJON

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

Trouble w/ Updates is a free call to MS Help if you'd like to go that route...

1-866-727-2338

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 23 May 2015 - 02:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users