Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Believe My Laptop Has a Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Krooz

Krooz

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

I have an HP Envy M7-J120DX-17.3" laptop, it's running Windows 8.1 and I use Chrome. I've had this machine for about 8 months now and have loved it.

Over the last couple of days I've had an issue where I suddenly lose control of the mouse - the cursor starts jumping all over opening random things and shortly thereafter I'll get grey bursting "bubbles" (for lack of a better term) scattering across the screen. I immediately shut everything down. When I reboot it doesn't show itself right off but eventually it returns. I have "WEBROOT Secure Anywhere Internet Security" installed and ran a scan. It removed some threats and says I'm clean.

This looks and smells of a virus of sorts to me but I'm no expert and I couldn't find anyone with a similar issue on line though my description may be the problem.

Thanks for any advice!

Krooz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

Hi 'K',

1st, I'm not a big fan of Webroot, @ all.  I have removed & replaced it w/ something else for clients in the past & things improved for them thereafter.  But, aside from that...  Some suggestions in no particular order:

1. A Sys Restore to a date before this behavior showed.

2. Run Malwarebytes Free version
3. Install SpywareBlaster (free if select Manual Updating)

4. Do a Disc Cleanup
5. Run sfc /scannow in cmd Run as admin
6. Install & use CCleaner regularly

If you, really, cannot seem to get rid of it, save your data & redo the OS installation but, that's last resort.  Wonder if you would consider using IE instead of Chrome?  And, maybe, a different security.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#3 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Drew . I'll try some of your ideas. I haven't been using IE because I thought most viruses targeted it. I used to use Firefox until I got the new laptop. During that period I used Norton as my security. My wife brought home a home security option from her work - she works for the State Department - maybe I should use that? WEBROOT expires in a few weeks.....

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

Krooz,

You're welcome.

Use the security that is embedded in 8.1, Windows Defender; don't need to be adding in any 3rd Party alternative.  I suppose one might think that since IE has a big footprint as so do other browsers, as well; but, IE 11 is big (strong) on security, very big!

Cheers,
Drew

#5 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

Drew - just an update - I did the first 4 items on your list and thought I had it beat - but after being on for an hour this morning it started again. I'm beginning to think it might be website specific because it didn't start until I opened all of the bookmarks in a folder I have saved. They're all stock and financial sites. I'm going to try to narrow it down by opening one site at a time and let it set a bit before opening the next. Gonna beat this one way or another!

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

K,

Thanks for keeping me abreast of things. You may be on to something. Look forward to your next progress report and will / should get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone

#7 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Well, I've done everything except the OS reinstallation. I thought the issue was gone but it shows up randomly making the laptop unusable. I did realize that the "pops" I was seeing are the grey circles that show up when one touches the touch screen. When in desktop mode I can sit there and watch - it's as if some one is going crazy touching the screen all over. My icons are to the side so it doesn't hit any of them - if it did it would open them as it does when I am in the browser and it hits my bookmarks etc.

I tried to run a scan in safe mode but it even showed up then and killed my scan by randomly hitting the buttons. I tried pulling the battery (read that somewhere) but to no avail. It shows up even when I use Firefox etc. About to pull my hair out! I hate to reinstall the OS and the damn thing still show up.

Thoughts? Thanks!

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

Krooz,

If a bunch of stuff has been tried, just rebuild the thing. Less grief, time, & frustration and you will be back on track (that way).  Enough, just rebuild.  Trust you can save any data or already have it backed-up.

BTW, oft times, even if nasties are found and removed, that doesn't necessarily remove (or repair) any damage already done.

Cheers,
Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 27 May 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#9 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

Aagh! Not what I wanted to hear!   :lol: It couldn't possibly be a computer issue could it? I would hate to do the reinstall and it still be there. I don't have any data to speak of that I need to save though  - only my bookmarks that I can rebuild from my desktop.....

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Aagh! Not what I wanted to hear!   :lol: It couldn't possibly be a computer issue could it? I would hate to do the reinstall and it still be there. I don't have any data to speak of that I need to save though  - only my bookmarks that I can rebuild from my desktop.....

It's a bit tough swapping out RAM or vid cards, et al w/ laptops trying to narrow something down or pin it down.  It sounds more to me like corruption or infection.  You could run Memory diagnostics. Bad vid card or driver.  Maybe it's hardware but, really doesn't sound like it.  Plus, for what's involved w/ a rebuild, no harm no foul... it's easy to eliminate if that is the solution.  Then look @ hardware if the bad behavior persists; especially if you don't have any data of concern.  Let the rebuilt OS use Windows Defender for security.  And see how things go w/ IE before loading other browsers.  As for Favorites (bookmarks) should be there once you sign into the browser... they are, also, in a folder and its contents can be saved, too.

Cheers,
Drew

#11 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

OK, I did create the disks when I bought the laptop so they're sitting there.. I'll look into how to do all that - sounds like a weekend project....

Thanks!

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi Krooz :)

Sorry to jump in so late in the thread, but I just got home. What you are describing is indeed a odd behavior. A cursor should never move by itself (unless you have some program making it do so, like a macro, script, etc.), and even less open random websites and click on links. If what you are describing is really happening, there's a chance that you've been infected with a backdoor trojan, also known as RAT (Remote Access Tool, Remote Access Trojan, call it however you like). In order to check your system for a such malware and get it removed, you'll have to get assistance in the malware removal area, and not here. To do that, you have to post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section. You have to follow the instructions in the preparation guide prior to posting your thread, since it contains the steps to follow when posting it. Once you've been declared clean by your helper, you are free to comeback in this thread so we can continue working on your current issue, if it wasn't solved during your malware clean-up :) If you decide to post in the malware removal area, please reply back in this thread with the link to your thread there, so we can get a Moderator to close this one.

On a side note, it's never a good idea to do a System Restore when you are infected with a malware. This is only a last resort solution if you really can't do anything, and even there, these cases are really rare (if you can run FRST from the Recovery PE, a lot can be fixed with it). Also, a Disk Cleanup and a SFC scan won't do anything against active backdoor trojans on a system, even less against suspicious situations like these.

Edited by Aura., 27 May 2015 - 04:19 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

The surest best quickest way is rebuild fresh pure and ready to go in good health. Not meaning Restore. Do it with the Recovery discs

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

OK, I did create the disks when I bought the laptop so they're sitting there.. I'll look into how to do all that - sounds like a weekend project....

Thanks!

Maybe 4 hrs give or take including Updates & other things.

Cheers,
Drew

#15 Ionnakis

Ionnakis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:57 AM

Before all that-what extensions do you have set up for Chrome? The list is under "more tools" in the menu on the top right of the browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users