Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover data from a single disc LG NAS (N1A1DD1)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Derek.F

Derek.F

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi, Just joined though have been playing with and building computers since 286's (the CPU, not the year!) . I also administered a small domain_OS (Apollo computers) network in the 90's but today would claim almost no Unix expertise.

THE PROBLEM

My LG NAS (Single disc 1Tb Seagate sata drive with a unix O/S and three partitions) died earlier this year and had been backing up our main PC. Two weeks later our main PC SSD died and I lost everything! There is critical data on the NAS disc that I need to recover. I know I can pay $$$ to get a service to recover it but I don't think it will be that hard and I'll learn something in the process (and I've heard horror stories of services destroying discs).

THE STORY

For a few weeks, the NAS started to make a louder fan noise than usual and one day I could not find it on my PC network (I was running Win XP Pro but now Win 7 Pro). LG were no help so I removed the drive and put it in an external USB enclosure. The drive appears as visible with three partitions to the Win 7 disc utility but, of course, it can't read it b/c its a *nix O/S.

THE RECOVERY ATTEMPT

So I loaded a runtime version of Ubuntu (14.04.1 x64) and began to look around. Again, disc utilities found it, with three partitions but it did not mount. It did report that the device names were sdc1, sdc2 & sdc3. The sdc3 is the largest partition and where I believe my data is. Filesystem is EXT3 I believe.

Next, I tried manually mounting in a shell. It said that there was a bad superblock at 0.

I then interrogated the drive with dumpe2fs to determine the subsequent superblocks that may permit mounting (I understand these are like FAT's that are replicated in multiple locations)

So using the next superblock number, 32768, I tried fsck. This was the result:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -a -b 32768 /dev/sdc3
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
fsck: fsck.linux_raid_member: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.linux_raid_member for /dev/sdc3

Now I am lost - it's talking about a 'raid member'. The NAS was in RAID mode (vs HDD) but it only has one disc so I'm not sure how it could implement a raid system.

I'm guessing that I am probably just a couple of steps from mounting this disc but I don't know unix enough to understand the responses I am getting. I got here with the help of a friend but he is not able to invest more time.

Of course, once mounted I will need to identify the files and save the few that I need but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Can anyone interpret the error message and indicate how I might get past this? Thanks.

Derek 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

As I have had no response to my first inquiry, I am wondering if this is in the wrong place, poorly worded or simply beyond those who have viewed this. Can any longtime member provide any guidance that may help me secure some help? Thanks.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

I am not sure this would work on RAID. According to R-linux it cannot reconstruct a RAID but it may be worth a try. People that had Seagate NAS recovered the files using it. Using it they were able to see the directory structure and files. There is a windows version but one poster had better luck with the linux version.

There is a paid version that is supposed to recover RAID. 

Take a look at this thread. Good Luck.

#4 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

JohnC_21, thanks very much for responding and the suggestion. It was actually that thread that I discovered and read first and decided to join since my situation was similar. However, I reasoned that I could not initially take advantage of the solution because the other poster was able to mount his disc whereas I am not able to because of corrupt Superblock (0). Now if I have misunderstood your reply (in that R-linux could help me mount my disc) I do apologize - I may need some steps spelled out.

Regarding RAID, my research also led me to believe that the LG NAS is not 'striped' or mirrored but has all data on a single (900Gb) partition (I could easily be wrong of course). However, if true, the data may be intact and recoverable if I could mount the disc. So can anyone point me past the error in the original post?

There was an excellent article written about NAS disc forensics (link below) by Dmitry Kisselev (former head of Seagate data recovery department) and the LG NAS in particular but the terminology and examples were beyond my understanding. But, if anyone knows how to reach him (he is on Linkdin but I am not - and prefer not to be) I bet he could help.

link: http://index-of.es/Magazines/hakin9/Hakin9%20Extra%20-%20201204.pdf

starting on p 16.

Cheers,

Derek

#5 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

JohnC_21, I just followed the 'paid' link you provided and indeed it does sound like it will get me there (I did misunderstand - I thought R-linux was just another version of unix). I have asked their sales a few specific questions but I feel hopeful. Again thanks for the pointer! Derek

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

I am not familiar enough with linux or R-linux to answer your question regarding the mounting of the drive due to a bad superblock. The BC Advisors on the forum hopefully answers the question.

You may want to reference this article on recovering from a bad superblock. Also this thread.

Edit: the above was for a EXT3 partition. Similar one for EXT4.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#7 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

I had actually got half way through that very procedure when the raid error surfaced and gave the output in my op. But again thanks. Now the second thread did lead to how to recover a raid disc that has failed. A bit technical but a lot of very helpful options to digest. Cheers!

#8 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 480 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

Derek, a quick google for "fsck: fsck.linux_raid_member: not found" turned up this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2197570

The key bit seemed to be zeroing the superblock of the raw device with the following:

mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdc

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#9 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

Well, for anyone in this or a similar boat (NAS that has died), here is what I did. I followed the link provided by JohnC_21 and saw a number of programs. R-Studio was the one I chose as it could recover files from a *nix drive that had some RAID characteristic but would install on a Windows machine. I used the demo version and after copying my drive (to prevent further degradation) I was able to see the full file structure and successfully recover a small file (you can recover small files for free with the demo). So I registered for $80 and was able to recover my entire disc! R-Studio is simple to use, well laid out, very comprehensive and their tech support replied late in the evening (before I purchased) and on a holiday weekend. I'm impressed, and delighted to get my data back. Thanks to those here who helped also.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the update. I am sure this will help others with the same issue. Glad you were able to get your data back. Nice that support answered your question on a holiday weekend.

#11 nolan.jason

nolan.jason

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

I have the same product.  I had a power failure and when we came back up, the password to access the shared folder wouldn't work (default is admin/admin).  I believe all of the folders are in tact, I just cant access them.

If I remove the disk, as you did, do you think I could access the data?

Edited by nolan.jason, 30 May 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#12 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hi Jason. When I opened my NAS I had to break all the tabs that held it together (I had spent a long time searching for a way to avoid this but was unsuccessful). The disc is a standard 1Tb Seagate SATA drive and will connect to standard SATA power/data cables (or external enclosure). The LG NAS O/S is Linux so you won't be able to see it on a Windows machine except in Disc Management where you can see the three partitions. However, when trying to work with the drive in Ubuntu, (apart from a Superblock error) I got a warning about RAID (see my first post). This may well stop you accessing the drive at all but I am no unix expert so YMMV. R-Studio will open the drive and permit interrogation and data recovery under Windows. The demo version will allow you to see your data and copy small files. But it's $80 if you want the full version to copy everything. Hope this is a help.

Did you ever change the password? Did you try changing the switch from NAS to HDD? I'm sure you know that if you try to reset the passowrd, you will loose all your data.

Feel free to ask more questions and I'll try to answer as best as I can. Cheers, Derek.

#13 nolan.jason

nolan.jason

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Derek,

Thanks for the reply.   I did change the password, it simply won't take it. I suspect an IT guy that installed a large network scanner to my network may have changed it (I was using the unit as a central repository for scanned documents) As you stated, to factory reset it back to the default (admin/admin) wipes the drive, so that's a no go.  I'm hoping the password is stored on the device firmware and not on the drive itself.  With the R-studio product, I could presumably access the drive, copy the contents and move on.?

NOTE:  I broke every tab when I opened it, too ;)

#14 Derek.F

Derek.F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Jason, R-Studio did not even ask for a password in my case but remember a portion of the disc was bad so perhaps that was where it was stored. What you can do is download the demo version without charge and see what it will recover. Only once you verify you can retrieve what you want do you need to pay for it. BTW, R-studio is quite an amazing suite of software - just read up on it's list of features (and I have absolutely nothing to do with the company). I feel better about breaking my tabs - it looks like it was designed to not be disassembled. Cheers, Derek.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:28 AM

Derek.F, glad to hear that you were able to recover your data! :thumbup2:

Have been considering at least giving RAID a shot on one of my computers, from the information I gather, two identical SATA HDD's (or SSD's) can be combined for a an ultra speedy drive. That is, unless I've misunderstood the RAID concept altogether. That would be my main use for it, the secondary being that if one drive were to fail, the other would keep going. 

By chance, if I have misunderstood, please let me know. If there is no real benefit, no need to bother. It's just that I have two identical SSD's (256GB Crucial M550), only one is a 2.5" form factor & the other mSATA. Otherwise no difference, one's as speedy as the other, and both has the same number of sectors. Would be great to pair them to gain an extra 200MB/sec of speed. 

If there's no speed difference, it's not worth me bothering with. Would be using the inbuilt Intel app to create this with, not using a 3rd party RAID card. 

Or possibly on a spare PC, trying this with a couple of 500GB spinners, both of the WD brand, an RE4 & 2.5" Scorpio Black. The one issue I see there is the drive's cache difference, one's 64MB, the other is 16MB. Though the RE4 was distributed as a RAID HDD, it's really an upgraded Caviar Black, and has made an excellent desktop drive for me, now in it's 3rd PC. Quiet, low temps & fast. I would buy another like it, they're no longer manufactured & though Newegg still sells these, it's through a 3rd party, some are reporting getting well used drives. At $100, that's too much to gamble on for a 500GB drive. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1JK8075

Though at $79.99 in 2012, it was a great deal on promo & still runs like a champ today, that's the difference between enterprise & consumer based drives. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users