Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No access to windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nounou

Nounou

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Someone went on my ASUS computer (with windows 8.1) and put in a password on the main account (only had 1 account on it, it was an admin account). Then they shut off the computer. The next time I put it on, it is asking me for a password before I get access to windows. I don't have the password, and the other person doesn't know what they put in. So I'm stuck.

So I bought a password reset disk from amazon, and put it in, but the computer would not boot from CD, So I went into the UEFI settings, disabled secure boot, activated the CSM boot, and now it boots from the CD. I then booted from the CD, ran the password reset program, which is in DOS, and got to stage 1. It is asking me which drive and partition the OS is on. I take a look, and I only have 1 HD, but the program cannot find partitions. I restart and run a linux program to see partitions, and it shows 6 partitions, with the OS on partition 4 (\dev\sda4). But I don't think they are NTFS partitions. I'm not sure but I think they are EEh partitions maybe? I don't know enough about this to tell. But bottom line, it doesn't look like the HD (or MBR?) is booting up when I boot up from the CD, so I cannot access the drive and partition through the DOS software to reset my password.

I found this on a Microsoft windows website: ***The choice for UEFI Boot OR Legacy Boot must be set prior to Windows 8 installation, depending on the MBR/GPT Hard Drive partition table to be used. After installation they must not be changed. Changing them will not allow the system to boot.***

(Website here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-81/65d74e19-9572-4a91-85aa-57fa783f0759)

I changed it after installation, obviously, and does that mean that the system is not able to boot the HD so I can find it in DOS?

Does anyone know enough about partitions/DOS/HDD etc. to help me out with this and show me a path to follow?

EDIT: I researched some more and found out that this is simpler than it seems. Basically, I am running Pogostick's Offline NT Password and Registry Editor (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/), but it cannot find any Windows Partitions (I think it finds the disk, because it shows me 500 MB, but I am not sure). Any help on how to fix this? (Is it missing the driver? Is there an updated version of the software? I have an ASUS with windows 8.1 from best buy)

Edited by Nounou, 17 May 2015 - 05:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nounou

Nounou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

Okay, some more data:

I bought this CD from amazon (https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) (yes i know i got ripped off but its too late now) and when i run pogosticks offline NT password and registry editor, it cannot find the windows partitions or disks (i select '1' and it repeats the prompt endlessly). Is it missing the driver? I have an ASUS with windows 8.1 from Best buy that i bought within the last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users