Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't do anything that requires admin privileges!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joelmosen

Joelmosen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Hello! As the title says I can't do anything that requires admin privileges on my computer whether it's running a program as admin or deactivting my firewall/antivirus etc etc. Whenever I try to deactivate my firewall/antivirus nothing happens, and when I try to run a program as admin I end up with a window giving me an error message (I'll add a picture of it). So if anyone has got a clue on how to fix this then please help me, I would appreciate it so much!

EDIT: It's exactly the same error for every program that I try to run. The only thing that isn't the same is the file path shown, it shows the program that I'm trying to run.

Attached Files

Edited by Joelmosen, 17 May 2015 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi Joelmosen :)

First of all, I want to give you a warning about one program you have on your desktop, ComboFix. ComboFix is a very powerful reporting and scripting tool that was developped by sUBs, used by members of the malware removal team here on BleepingComputer (and also on other forums). This tool can easily break a Windows installation if poorly and/or wrongly used. It can make the whole system unbootable and also delete everything present on your drives (leaving you with close to no chance of recovery) or damage your Windows installation so badly that you would be forced to reinstall it. Therefore, you should not be using ComboFix unless you are in one of the two situation listed below:
  • You have been trained in an online malware removal forum to use ComboFix;
  • You are using it under the supervision and instructions of a trained malware removal professional on BleepingComputer or another recognized malware removal forum (UNITE forums for example);
If you already ran ComboFix on your system and need assistance with the log, you will have to post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section of BleepingComputer, where a trained helper will assist you.

If you have any questions or concerns about ComboFix, quietman7 wrote a FAQ on it and you'll find all your answers in it.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Also be aware that BleepingComputer doesn't provide any advice on how to use ComboFix on your own, due to the nature of the tool and how dangerous it can be when used without supervision or proper training.

Is the error message the same for every programs you right-click on and select Run as Administrator? Did you ever run ComboFix on your own on your system?

On a side note, that version of AdwCleaner is outdated.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Joelmosen

Joelmosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for replying! Yes the error message is the same for every program that I try to run as admin. I've used ComboFix under the supervision from a guy on the geekstogo forum, however the logs and fixes or whatever we used the program for (:P) came out clean. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

If you don't need ComboFix, JRT, AdwCleaner, JRT.txt, etc. you can safely delete them. Good thing that you used it under the supervision of an expert, I just wanted to be sure :) Are you able to do a small test real quick? Can you create a new user account that you'll make Admin, then log into that account and see if you have Admin Rights? Do you know how to create a user account and make it Admin?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Joelmosen

Joelmosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

If you don't need ComboFix, JRT, AdwCleaner, JRT.txt, etc. you can safely delete them. Good thing that you used it under the supervision of an expert, I just wanted to be sure :) Are you able to do a small test real quick? Can you create a new user account that you'll make Admin, then log into that account and see if you have Admin Rights? Do you know how to create a user account and make it Admin?

Yeah I know how to do that so I'll try and see if it works. :)

EDIT: Nevermind I can't do it since it requires admin rights. I forgot to mention that everything works perfectly fine when I boot the computer into safet mode.

Edited by Joelmosen, 17 May 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

Alright, let's take a more in-depth look.

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries:
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible as a .arn (Autoruns) file;
  • Go on ge.tt and upload the Autoruns file you saved;
  • Once done, post the download URL of your uploaded file in your next reply;
3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      wNeKMCX.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;
You don't need to do the right-click "Run as Administrator" for Autoruns, it'll still work normally.

unite_blue.png

#7 Joelmosen

Joelmosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

Here is the link for Autoruns http://ge.tt/67FbOXG2/v/0?c  . I couldn't start MiniToolbox because it requires admin rights and of course it gives me an error when i try to run it :( .

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Joel, is that you?

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/349468-cant-run-any-programs-at-all-as-administrator-anti-virus-included/

When you are being assisted for malware removal on GeeksToGo (or BleepingComputer, or any other malware removal forums), you HAVE to stick with your helper until he declares you clean. You cannot ask for assistance on an issue on the system you're getting checked at the same time. If you have issues or questions, you need to ask them to your helper. For now, since you're asking for a check-up on GeeksToGo, for the same exact issue, I'll request this thread to be closed by a Moderator. Go back to GeeksToGo to get assisted, emeraldnzl posted instructions for you to follow and he's waiting for a reply.

unite_blue.png

#9 Joelmosen

Joelmosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

I'm sorry.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

All good no worries :) Usually, the helpers specify it in their first post, but since it wasn't specified, you wouldn't know. You'll know for the future, alright? Now emeraldnzl is waiting to assist you so I suggest you to follow the instructions in his last post!

Good luck! :)

unite_blue.png

#11 Joelmosen

Joelmosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Will do! Thanks for everything :)

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

No problem Joel, it was my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

Why you should not post about the same malware issues at different forums:

Advice from two separate helpers can cause problems.

A helper at one place has no idea what a helper somewhere else is doing. Different helpers may use different methods to combat your infection. While each one is safe to use, problems can arise if you follow the advice of both together. Some of the tools used are very powerful and have to be used in a specific way and in some cases do not combine well with others. By using advice from two different sources it is possible that tools may be used that do not combine well and you may severely damage your computer, even rendering it inoperable in some circumstances. By following BOTH sets of instructions, the clean up process could be delayed.

Since you are receiving help at GeeksToGo, this topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users