Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Repeating P key Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

1. These may be totally unrelated but I started a thread here days ago about my browser constantly kicking back to the last page.

2. My cat stepped on the keyboard and all of a sudden no matter where my cursor goes, if it's a place you can type, it just repeats the letter P. So, I tried to restart the computer. Guess what? I can't type in my password because it won't stop typing in 'P' long enough for me to do it. I can change the cadence of the letter being typed by hitting the key but I can't stop it wtihout taking the cursor off. So, I couldn't get windows back on because I couldn't get past my password.

3. I went to try and look at resetting to defaults to see if it would change anything and all of a sudden, I get this message:

"Internal hard disk drive not found. To resolve this issue, try to resat the drive.

No bootable dives--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 enter Setup Menu, F5 enter PSA"

Reseating: Didn't work:

Diagnostics at F5: Didn't work. I ran it once and it said there was a graphic problem but I ran it again and it said everything was fine but still get the same error message and don't even get a chance to try to log in.

F2 options: Didn't see anything that would change it.

What on earth is happening? The hard drive was just replaced for crying out loud and it was basically new when it went out at that. Could my cat have possibly done this or is that just a coincdence?  Please help, thank you, please, thank you. :smash:

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2015 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hi SmartasaRock-

In regards to your issue with the "P" key.  This may seem like a simple suggestion but did you try spraying your "P" key/keyboard in general with a can of compressed air?  It's possible your furry friend just stepped on the key and it's stuck.  You mentioned reseating but it sounds like you reseated your drive not the "P" key.  You could also try connecting an external keyboard via usb to your computer.  If that works you will know you have a hardware issue with your keyboard.   :)

Edited by Johnny Computer, 17 May 2015 - 08:32 AM.

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

#3 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm probably not explaining this that well. I can't even get to a place where I can type right now to tell you if the P thing is still happening, because of the hard drive error. It's the hard disk drive it told me to reseat but I'm not sure I even did that correctly even. I've seen a tech do it but this is the first time I've tried to.I think the keyboard is clean though. Nothing ever mentioned a reseating of anything on the keyboard, which I'm totally unfamiliar with.

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

#4 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

Okay, I had a friend of a friend look at this and he is on his way out of state but he says basically the hard drive needs replaced completely, that it's kaput but that I can get the data off the drive still but he didn't have time to explain it. Does anybody know if that's something a novice could pull off or no?

#5 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

You could  "Clone" your hard drive.  Have a look at this link and you can see if you think it is something you can handle. :-)  Although if your system won't even recognize your hard drive t will be difficult to clone.  You may want to have a look at the second link but if you can't clone it will start to get a bit more complicated.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421302,00.asp

http://lifehacker.com/5982339/diy-data-recovery-tricks-for-when-your-hard-drive-goes-belly-up

Edited by Johnny Computer, 18 May 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Only problem with that article...it implies that you need to spend money for a cloning program.  Nothing is further from the truth and the writer's opinion that Acronis is "better" than Macrium or EaseUS, etc...is his opinion, but not necessarily fact.

For what a cloning program does...it's the end result that is the real measure of quality, IMO...and I think that the free cloning programs that I have used certainly get the job done, with a minimum of time allotted.

Louis

#7 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

Agreed....here are some free cloning tools but I don't think he's going to be able to clone. 

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

Hard drives are not necessarily that easy to ' kill off ' especially if you are able to get to the recovery partition than I do not think this is a hard drive failure.  In your bios what is the boot order set to?   Have you tried to ' Load Performance defaults?  Still I would want to know the boot order.  The error you get is typical if your system is trying to boot from a CD in the CDROM which has not boot sector.  So.... maybe try making sure you do not have a cd in the cdrom drive and reboot (still check the boot order)  I would say this is something caused by messing around in the bios than a hard drive failure.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 18 May 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#9 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

Thank you I'm going to look into all this cloning. This is the only time I've heard of it, if that tells you about my level lol

Hard drives are not necessarily that easy to ' kill off ' especially if you are able to get to the recovery partition than I do not think this is a hard drive failure.  In your bios what is the boot order set to?   Have you tried to ' Load Performance defaults?  Still I would want to know the boot order.  The error you get is typical if your system is trying to boot from a CD in the CDROM which has not boot sector.  So.... maybe try making sure you do not have a cd in the cdrom drive and reboot (still check the boot order)  I would say this is something caused by messing around in the bios than a hard drive failure.

He did check no CD, tried to reseat the hard drive, I tried loading the defaults. But it does look like it "knows" the drive is in there, it says how many gigabytes are in there and everything, it just won't get off that error no matter what was done with the set up.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hello, hopefully I can help here.

SmartAsARock, let's start at square one here.

First, we need to know what we are working with here.

Please look at the bottom side of this laptop (If I am incorrect please be specific as to what this is) look for a sticker with the laptop's make and model number on it. Please tell me as much as you can so I know exactly what we are working with here, then I will work with you from there.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 May 2015 - 02:14 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users