Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 topaz8L

topaz8L

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 and I followed the instructions on this site for starting in safe mode but when I got to the list I tried pressing 4 and F4 but the keyboard doesn't seem to communicate with the computer at this stage.

I also followed instructions so enable F8 safe mode start up but for some reason it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

Welcome,

May I ask why you are trying to start in this manner? If there are other problems it would be mopst helpful if you can describe them.

thanks

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 topaz8L

topaz8L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hi Dick

I found some trojans which I quarantined and then deleted using Avast Free Antivirus. Then following the advice on a tutorial for getting rid of Trojans etc I also scanned my pc using Malwarebytes and Emsisoft which didn't find anymore trojans but did find adware and PUPs which I quarantined.

There are 2 files that I couldn't quarantine in Emsisoft which are:

1. Adware.Win32.Gaspacade (A) Medium risk
  2. Application.InstallAd (A) No risk

When I tried to quarantine these nothing happened so I thought that I'd try deleting them manually even though they don't seem to be high risk - I don't know if these are anything to worry about?

I had already installed Sysinternals as intructed by the tutorial and I was going to follow the instructions to delete them manually and then disable any programs that are not needed in start up (I've already disabled a few but only after checking the Startup Database on the site to make sure they weren't needed).

Even though I don't seem to have any high risk infections left I'd still like to know that I can start up in safe mode in case of problems in the future - in XP it was so much easier!

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Sheila

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

Try disabling Fastboot/Quickboot in your UEFI/BIOS.

#5 topaz8L

topaz8L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

Thank you John, I will give that a go this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users