Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Email

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikeguil

mikeguil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hey everyone... I'm new here, so be kind. ;)

I've had my email and website hosted in the same place for years.  I'm creating a new website on a different platform (probably SquareSpace) and when that's ready, I want to cancel my current hosting, and therefore 'delete' the old website and run with the new one, again, most likely SquareSpace.  My email is also hosted (if that's the correct term?) with the current web host and uses a mydomainname.com format.

That's the background info.  From what I understand, I can have Google Apps for Business 'host' my email. First of all, is this what I need in order to access my email (I use Mac Mail as my email client) still using mydomainname.com email address?  Secondly, if I do this, does this mean that if I ever change my web host in the future, that I won't have to change my email and simply continue using it through Google Apps for Business?  I'm looking for a long-term solution for me email that I don't have to change whenever I change hosts for the website. Hopefully I'll never do it again, but never say never, right!?

AND, if all that is correct... what's the procedure to move my email from an existing host (the domain name is registered with Network Solutions - but hosted elsewhere (Bell Canada if you need to know) and set it up with GAFB? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

If you are no longer hosting your site with the old company, you should migrate your email as well, if only to avoid confusion in terms of MX and DNS records. You can keep your email where it is, but configuring all that to work can be tricky, especially if you aren't comfortable with configuring zone files. It sounds like SquareSpace has some sort of arrangement with Google Apps; whether you can keep your mail there if you ever change web hosting companies will depend on the terms of your agreement with SquareSpace.

If/when you switch to Google Apps for Business, they have a number of migration tools you can use to migrate your email over. If you are using Outlook with your current email provider, just back up the .pst file. You should be able to import it back in when you connect your Outlook to Google Apps.

Check their website for more information and details -- support.google.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users