Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't boot from installation disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 somae

somae

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

I've been trying to install windows 8.1 but am unable to get the computer to boot from the dvd drive. The computer boots without any problems from the dvd using other disks . Also, I'm able to run the windows setup as an upgrade from the dvd drive using windows explorer.

I wanted to add that I'm able to boot from this disk on a different computer.

Help appreciated.

Edited by somae, 16 May 2015 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

[wild guess]

the drive is a CD drive and not a CD/DVD drive or the drivers do not recognize DVDs

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

In order to boot from a bootable disc you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD the second device.

After you have made this change open the DVD drive tray and insert the installation disc, close the try and reboot the computer.

You will receive a message basically telling you to press any key to boot from the disc, do so.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users