Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Network, NAS and share acting strangely

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Slider51

Slider51

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

The System:  Two identical Win7 Dell PC's set up as a home network as follows:  Cable modem connected to D-Link router, each PC and a Buffalo LS-XL 3TB NAS connected to the router.  All wired connections, no wireless.  The Buffalo NAS is named as the (N:) drive, accessible from each PC.  We store photos and videos on the NAS, and being able to access it from either computer was the idea.  Everything has worked fine for well over a year. 

All Win7 updates are current, Virus scans come up clean.  All cabling has been checked/substituted/swapped to make sure I have no cable issues.

A friend set this system up, I am very much a novice and frankly really don't understand "shares" or how they are set up.   Screen shot "01" below shows the setup in Win Explorer.  Note:  The red "X" across the icon for the (N:) drive was not there before this problem occurred.

Attached File  01.JPG   47.22KB   0 downloads

The Problem:  Last week, suddenly when my machine, "PC#1" booted up, I got a network "path not found" error in my system tray.  See "Error 01" screen shot below.

Attached File  Error 01.JPG   34.64KB   0 downloads

I went into Win Explorer and saw that the (N:) "share" below (C:) had a red "X" across the icon for the NAS.  I tried to expand the (N:) share line, and after chugging away for 30 seconds or so, I got the same error message above.  Also, the LS-XL3D2 device was missing under Win Explorer "Network" line (where PC#1 and PC#2 are shown)

Went to NAS Navigator and the following window appeared, showing the NAS in "EM" or "Emergency Mode". 

Attached File  Error 02.JPG   53.15KB   0 downloads

Researched it online and determined I needed to re-flash the NAS firmware, which I did, downloading the zip files for the correct model I have.

I now can once again access the NAS from either PC by expanding it under "Network".  However, two problems remain...

(1)  The (N:) share still shows a red X across the NAS icon.  If I left click on the share or try to expand it, 15-20 seconds go by and I get the network "Path not found" error.

(2)  I get the following error window in the system tray every time I boot my machine (PC #1).  It goes away after 10-15 seconds, but the fact that it comes up at all isn't right.

Attached File  Error 03.JPG   26.41KB   0 downloads

Okay, I've muddled through getting access to the NAS back, but these error messages tell me something is still amiss.  As I mentioned above, I have almost zero understanding of shares, how they operate, how they're set up, and what to do to fix something like this.  Trying to figure this out using Win7 Help or trying to locate/read/understand anything that Microsoft puts out there is pretty much impossible for me.  The guy who set the machines up for me fell off the face of the earth so I'm stuck.

Can someone please help me understand what the problem is and how to fix it?  Please keep it "dumbed down" as much as possible, I'm in my 60's and anything other than operating the software I own, e-mail, etc. is way beyond my knowledge base, but I can follow directions well.  Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help.

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2015 - 10:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

Can you access the Web interface of the NAS to check if the disk is shared using a share named share?

On the machines if you open the Control Panel > Credential Manager under Windows Credentials it should have one entry with the NAS IP, expand it and take note of the user name (it could be the same for both machines or not)

Back to the NAS interface check if the user name you have on the computers exists on the list of users created on the NAS.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

Is the problem just isolated to PC #1 or do you have the same problem on PC #2?  You always referred to #1.  If you don't have the same problem on the other PC then most likely the problem is isolated to the PC and not to the NAS.

#4 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

Thanks to both of you!

SleepyDude, the only screen I get on the NasNavigator is the one that showed the "E-Mode" error.  Forgive my ignorance please, but I'm not sure what you mean by the web interface of the NAS. 

I've added more screen shots from Win Explorer showing 2 shares, one called "info share" and the other "share share" with the Properties of each expanded.  On the Properties/Security tab for each share, I note that the permissions are each checked as "special permissions"...don't know if that's how it should be.

You'll note for security reasons I've changed the IP info to 999.999, but in each case, what comes after the second point is exactly as it shows on my machine.  I have noted three different suffixes on the different addresses ... 999.999.0.101 on my IP address,  999.999.0.1 on the default gateway, and 999.999.0.200 (N:) on the Win Explorer share that shows the X-d out icon of the NAS.  I have no clue if this is how these are supposed to be. 

I also added a screen shot of the Credential Manager expanded.  Not sure where to find the list of users for the NAS.

Attached File  NAS NAV.JPG   79.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Credentials.JPG   99.18KB   0 downloadsAttached File  InfoShare.JPG   79.72KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Share Share.JPG   78.39KB   0 downloads

If this isn't enough info, please let me know and tell me where to look for what you need.

Msradell, the error messages only show up on PC#1, which is my machine.  They do not show up on PC#2, which is my wife's machine.  Now, the NasNavigator software is only installed on PC #1, if that could be the reason the error messages don't show on her machine.

I know it's hard for you all to try to help a guy like me that is so clueless, but again I thank you and I'll do my best to give you any info you need.

#5 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

If the NAS can be accessed away from the other PC I would go ahead and reinstall the Navigator software on your machine as the next step.

#6 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

The Navigator software IS installed on my machine, PC#1.  It's not installed on PC #2, however the NAS can still be seen and fully accessed in Explorer by PC#2.  All of the screen shots are from PC#1.

Edited by Slider51, 16 May 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#7 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

When I suggested was to uninstall and reinstall the Navigator software on PC#1.

#8 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

Oh I understand now.  Will this eliminate or affect the "share" to the (N:) drive?  I have no idea how to re-create that share.

#9 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

I'm not sure because I'm not familiar with the Buffalo NAS I know that with mine it won't but every manufacturer is different.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

Thanks to both of you!

SleepyDude, the only screen I get on the NasNavigator is the one that showed the "E-Mode" error.  Forgive my ignorance please, but I'm not sure what you mean by the web interface of the NAS. 

I've added more screen shots from Win Explorer showing 2 shares, one called "info share" and the other "share share" with the Properties of each expanded.  On the Properties/Security tab for each share, I note that the permissions are each checked as "special permissions"...don't know if that's how it should be.

You'll note for security reasons I've changed the IP info to 999.999, but in each case, what comes after the second point is exactly as it shows on my machine.  I have noted three different suffixes on the different addresses ... 999.999.0.101 on my IP address,  999.999.0.1 on the default gateway, and 999.999.0.200 (N:) on the Win Explorer share that shows the X-d out icon of the NAS.  I have no clue if this is how these are supposed to be. 

I also added a screen shot of the Credential Manager expanded.  Not sure where to find the list of users for the NAS.

attachicon.gifNAS NAV.JPGattachicon.gifCredentials.JPGattachicon.gifInfoShare.JPGattachicon.gifShare Share.JPG

If this isn't enough info, please let me know and tell me where to look for what you need.

Msradell, the error messages only show up on PC#1, which is my machine.  They do not show up on PC#2, which is my wife's machine.  Now, the NasNavigator software is only installed on PC #1, if that could be the reason the error messages don't show on her machine.

I know it's hard for you all to try to help a guy like me that is so clueless, but again I thank you and I'll do my best to give you any info you need.

I didn't realize the problem was only with one PC

This this:

- open explorer the same way you have on image 3

- right click on Network then click Disconnect Network Drive you should have the mapped N: drive select that to remove the association

- on the tree on the left under Network, right click Share and select Map Network Drive select the Drive as N: and make sure you check the box Reconnect at Logon

If there is no problem with the credentials to access the NAS the drive N: should open now.

By the way there is no need to hide the IP addresses they are internal to your network and most likely something like 192.168.x.y that most people have.

Edited by SleepyDude, 17 May 2015 - 06:28 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#11 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

I'm beginning to think the NAS itself is flaky.  This morning I booted the machine with the intent of uninstalling/reinstalling the Navigator software.  The NAS was back in "EM" Mode.  I tried re-flashing the firmware, but at the end of the process the NAS wouldn't boot.  I did the uninstall/reinstall of the Navigator software.  Clicking on the system tray icon for the Navigator software, it can't "discover" the NAS.  The blue power light on the NAS goes back and forth between continual rapid flashes and flashing a "long two, short five" code.

Web information on these units, especially problem fixes, is almost non-existent.  There are forum questions out there asking what this 2-5 code means from back as far as 2007, with no replies from anyone.  I've tried disconnecting the NAS power supply, the network cable, reconnecting them, at least hoping to get the NAS back in "EM Mode", to no avail.  The Buffalo "Support" Forum might have answers of some kind buried in there, but it's clear that those forums are meant for people with FAR more knowledge than me who know the meaning of hundreds of acronyms.

SleepyDude, I tried Network/Disconnect Network Drive to remove the association and got this error window:

Attached File  Network.JPG   43.42KB   0 downloads

Yesterday when we were able to access the NAS, we copied all our photos, videos, and data to one of the PC's so I won't lose any data.  I think at this point I'll just take my lumps, chalk it up to a learning experience about Buffalo NAS's for future reference, and add the NAS to the pile of bricks I already have in my basement.  I WOULD, however, like to somehow remove this X-d out share and connection "that doesn't exist" from my Explorer tree. 

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hi,

I don't have experience with Buffalo NAS so I can't confirm if the unity is bad or not, the fact that the firmware upgrade failed usually results in a damaged OS on the device and it may be possible or not to write a new firmware to the device!

About the X: drive, it's the first time I see a problem removing a mapped network drive for a non-existent connection!

Can you try to boot the PC without the network connection to see if windows let you remove the drive? If it doesn't work we can find another way to do it...

___
Rui

#13 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Sleepy...

I pulled the power supply plug and the network cable from the back of the NAS, and the share has disappeared from the tree.  I may plug everything back in tonight, just to see what happens, but again, I think this NAS is bricked.  Reading through the Buffalo forum, there are tons of these units failing like this and in other ways, some brand new, some only weeks old, and people using these boxes as extra storage devices losing lots of keepsake photos, movies, and important data.  They definitely seem unreliable enough to not use as back-up storage devices, at least to me, and especially not using them that way without a redundant second storage method.  (I clone our hard drives, with two extra HDD's for each machine on a 2-week rotation.  At any given time I have 3 complete operable HDD's for each machine with all software, settings, and data).

I'll post the results of trying to boot the NAS again, but I'm not holding much hope out.  

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

According to this the em mode indicates a problem with the hard drive(s).  Do you remember how the drive or drives were configured?

Usually you get two hard drives in a base buffalo nas.  By default the NAS comes with both drives as jbod which means both are seen as one large disk.  Problem with this config is there is no drive fault tolerance.  If one drive of the two dies you lose everything.

Now if they were configured in a Raid1 [mirror] you get only the space of one drive but if either fails you still have everything on the 2nd drive.

From the descriptions it appears you may have had the drives as jbod [Just a Bunch Of Drives]

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/EM_Mode

It is easy to map a drive to a working system.  You browse to the NAS share and then in Explorer/tools you have "map network drive"

Edited by Wand3r3r, 18 May 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:40 AM

@Wand3r3r: Based on the specifications available on this link http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office-nas/linkstation-live-1 the unit have only one drive.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users