Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Norton Anitivirus 2006 That Good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

I'm using norton antivirus 2006 at the moment, it does detect alot of viruses and spywares, however I can still find some spyware/adware by using spyware doctor v3.8, even though my norton is all up to date.

Are there any antivirus and antispyware combos that are better than norton antivirus 2006?

I also have xoftspy4.22 and ad-adware SE personal, they also can find other infections that both norton and spyware doctor cannot find.

I hate using lots of antivirus programs because they do slow down my computer alot, however in order to get full protection, that is my only choice.

plz help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

There is a major difference between anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. Most here will recommend only use one AV on your computer (especially for real-time protection) because of potential operational conflicts, and at the same time recommend having several anti-spyware applications.
Because the definition(s) of spyware are somewhat subjective, each company will have its product look for (and therefore find) a differing set of problems; having more than one such application will thus increase your coverage of that kind of malware.
Hope this answers your question.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

alright, thanx

#4 baronvongogo

baronvongogo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

having more than 1 spyware scanner is ok and highly recommended, but only ever have 1 virus scanner other wise they can conflict with each other.

Personally I dont use any norton anti virus product they hog memory and slow down the computer. In my sig there is a list of free spyware, anti virus scanners.

Edited by baronvongogo, 09 July 2006 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users