Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vid Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pvwolfgang420

pvwolfgang420

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:07 AM

i just recently ran into this problem, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know..

*i talk about the computer freezing in here.. and its really a weird sort of freezing.. it just seems like it boggs everything down to the point where its almost not moving at all.. not completely frozen. ctrl+alt+del for the task manager will still work.. it just takes like 2 minutes for it to load up and show on the screen. also seems as though everything on the screen tries to reload over and over and over.*

everything was running perfectly fine up until a few days ago, when all the sudden my computer won't play any type of video files anymore. if i use winamp i get the best results (only audio, no picture) but it halts the system after less than a minute. if i use WMP it just says 'connecting...' at the bottom and causes the whole system to stop responding (no audio or picture). the computer freezing also occurred when i tried Twins Video Player and Media Player Classic (came with the k-lite codec pack). DVD won't play either with cyberlink powerdvd, it also freezes the system. I uninstalled all the codecs i had and reinstalled brand new ones from this k-lite pack that was recommended to me.. no luck.

the first file i remember this happening for (and it was just the audio only w/ no pic, not the computer freezing) was a movie i had just gotten off BitTorrent..a Grandma's Boy DVD rip. (MPEG-3 XVID). it seems like ever since then my computer wouldn't play any video at all.. except inside games they work and i just today saw a streaming vid on a website (don't know what format it was.. possibly flash or something)
i also tried doing system restore using system checkpoints provided by XP, going back to a date before i dl'd that movie, but no matter what day i go to it says system restore failed.
i'm about ready to just say f*** it and do a full system restore.

sorry bout such a long post, just trying to cover all the info you mite need to help.

* i only have a 250w power supply and i think im drawing about 275-285w of power from it, so i underclocked my video card to ony run at about 300mhz core / mem .. which has solved any problems i was having previously.. but videos/dvds would always play before & after i made that change. that was awhile ago & this problem is very recent. -im a broke ass MF :thumbsup: VIDS RAN FINE FOR A LONG TIME WITH OVERDRAWN POWER & GAMES STILL RUN FINE

please help me out if you can, thanks
dixon

Dell Dimension B110
2.53GHz celeron D
1024MB ddr ram
windows XP home SP2
256MB NVidia GeForce 6200OC PCI
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW 16x
HD temp ~39c
250w power supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic