Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HDD making beep noise upon startup, slow computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 igorl53

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hello every one,

Several days ago I got a n new computer, the specs are:

Intel G3285 (bought a used one)

AsRock H81 Pro BTC (bought a used one)

Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100 (bought yesterday, a new one)

MSI GeForce GTX 650 TI

Windows 7 Pro

I've been experiencing a lot of slowdowns with the Seagate HDD that I transferred from my old computer, and after performing a HD Tune benchmark, I've noticed my old HDD overall speed was pretty low. So I decided to buy the already mentioned Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100. I plugged it in yesterday and installed Windows 7. At first everything worked smooth, altough I was and still am concerned about low Minimum Transfer Rate during the benchmark:

Still, the system operated much better than on the old HDD. That was until recently, when I installed a few apps such as:

Adobe Flash

Java SE Runtime

Microsoft Office

...that my computer started slowing down again!!!

Meanwhile, I've been trying out different SATA cables to check if the benchmarks got any better (they didn't), and at one time, after booting the computer, the HDD made a slight beep noise that it hasn't done before. Now it keeps doing that noise after starting up and I wonder what could it be. Sometimes the noise doesn't occur, as seen in the video below (the second time I boot the computer it doesn't beep. Turn the volume up as it's quiet).

Can anyone please help? Is my new HDD faulty? Could it be my PSU (bought ~9months ago) - the only component left from my old PC that also used to freeze? It's driving me INSANE. Would greatly appreciate ANY help!!

Edited by igorl53, 16 May 2015 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 igorl53

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Okay, so I've updated the motherboard's BIOS to ver 2.0. and overall the system seems to be performing a bit better so far. The update info mentioned SIO fixes so maybe that helped a little.

Also, changed my antivirus from MSE to Avast in the meantime. I've noticed that Firefox may have a problem with not 100% smooth browsing between cards (mini-freezes occur sometimes) - no matter what I do, I can't get rid of them, so I assume it's software related.

Still, the benchmark Minimum Transfer Rates are as low as they were. Any one can please tell me should I be concerned?

When I'm duplicating a file on HDD, the speed starts at about 110MB/s, then usually drops to about 60 - is this normal?

Edited by igorl53, 16 May 2015 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users