Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going away to College! What is the dream team of Virus removal?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathonmp

Jonathonmp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hello all, 

Long time lurker and faithful follow of bleeping computer. What a wealth of knowledge and support here which is uncanny. Just as the title states I am heading off to college in a few weeks with my new windows 8.1 computer in hand. In the past I had no fear of remvoing and fixing my PC's especially with the assistance of what I considered to be the best program Combofix. Well it is not supported on windows 8.1 obviously so now my nerves are rising. What program would be near Combofix's abilites if any? Also, what is the must have programs I should use to keep or kill threats so if the time should come I will have the smallest amount of downtime and be able to get back up and running in my dorm. Thanks all !!!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hi there,

ComboFix is a manual removal tool created for trained malware removal helpers to use - it is not meant to be your daily AV or AM software. Using it incorrectly can break your machine.

To answer your main question... There is no "one size fits all" solution, otherwise all other AV vendors would have gone out of business. What you want to use depends mainly on your taste and your hardware specifications.

Also the most important factor in security is the end user... if you are not careful with your use then no software will be able to save you from infections.

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

With that in mind, do you have any particular requirements for your use? Free or paid, low overhead, easy to use etc.?

Regards,
Alex

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

Jonathonmp, most tools used for malware removal on BleepingComputer aren't meant to be used without training. Hence why it's not recommended to run them without having been train, or without being under the supervision of a trained malware removal professional. There's alternatives to ComboFix, but if I were you, I would stick to automatic removal programs and tools like AdwCleaner, JRT, Malwarebytes, etc. And leave tools like ComboFix and others to the trained users.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Jonathonmp

Jonathonmp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! To be more clear I didnt use Combofix as my daily removal but I guess I used it as my security blanket where as if things got rough or bad I always knew in the back of my mind that it most of the time had my back. I dont want a useage hog in an antivirus program. I dont mind paying but I am under the impression that most of the AV companies once you pay you get all of these add ons that slow you down and sometimes may go over the top with protection. In summary here is my wants and desires

1. Not a system resource hog

2. Paid or free does not matter. Just want above average protection becuase I cant afford to be down to long at school.

3. A good last resort like Combofix was for me in the past. I cannot stress this point enough 

4. Firewall is not extremely important as I will be using my own MIFI Hotspot for internet instead of the school's wifi

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

1. Not a system resource hog

As far as I know, Antivirus programs like ESET, Emsisoft and Kaspersky are far from being "resource hogs". And they do not include bundled programs as well. If you stick to their standard Antivirus and/or Internet Security solutions. Not the "Ultimate" ones. The trick is to check their comparison pages, and ask yourself if you really need the features included in one pack. If you don't, go for the one before it.

3. A good last resort like Combofix was for me in the past. I cannot stress this point enough

ComboFix won't do a lot without using fixlists, and you have to be trained in order to be able to create/use these.

4. Firewall is not extremely important as I will be using my own MIFI Hotspot for internet instead of the school's wifi

A Firewall is important no matter which network you're on. Following your logic, I would not use a Firewall on my home computer because I'm at home.

Edited by Aura., 16 May 2015 - 11:04 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Jonathonmp

Jonathonmp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

Where does one go for this advanced training on fixlists

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

You have to go throught a malware removal training in a malware removal school. BleepingComputer have one called the Study Hall. For more information on it, you can read this thread below.

Malware Removal Training Program

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Jonathonmp

Jonathonmp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

You have to go throught a malware removal training in a malware removal school. BleepingComputer have one called the Study Hall. For more information on it, you can read this thread below.

Malware Removal Training Program

That's really awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking into the AV programs you mentioned earlier. Thanks again for your assistance. 

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hi there,

If you wish to join in malware removal training, you can choose to join one of the UNITE schools. The full list is here, and Bleeping Computer is one of them.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

No problem, my pleasure :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Jonathonmp

Jonathonmp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hi there,

If you wish to join in malware removal training, you can choose to join one of the UNITE schools. The full list is here, and Bleeping Computer is one of them.

Excellent! I see your using emsisoft. Are you happy with it?

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

In my opinion? Emsisoft is pretty light, no bloat, extremely user-friendly and offers excellent AV and AM protection. Not to mention that the team behind it is one of the best support teams you can get :)

But it's just me :lol: Other people might think otherwise.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

What program would be near Combofix's abilites if any?

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is the current tool of choice..

Where does one go for this advanced training on fixlists

ComboFix uses CFScripts, not fixlists. Since ComboFix is not supported on newer OS versions (and most likely never will be), Malware Removal Teachers and instructors will soon be concentrating more on FRST which uses Directives/Commands and Zoek which uses Scripts. There are also other alternatives still in the works.

ComboFix won't do a lot without using fixlists, and you have to be trained in order to be able to create/use these.

That is not correct. On first run ComboFix can automatically detect and remove a lot of malware from various locations where it is known to hide. Further, much of what ComboFix does is completed upon reboot as part of its routine. In many cases the first run of ComboFix saves us the trouble of having to prepare a CFScript which is intended to be used as a cleanup tool AFTER an initial run of ComboFix. There are advanced users and security experts who have figured out how to create some of the more common CFScripts which are used without ever having attended formal training. ComboFix also provides a wealth of information about many areas of the operating system and registry in the comprehensive logs it creates. That information can provide advanced users a strategy for planning additional malware removal steps using other alternative tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

Another vote for Emsisoft,  working flawlessly on my computer, no bloat and superb support.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

Some of the employees involved with Emsisoft and Malwarebytes product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before these programs were created. Some still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and are able to respond quickly to them. No amount of money can buy such dedication and support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users