Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing my second router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PSCHAN

PSCHAN

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

Hi guys,

My ISP has currently provided me with two modems. One in the living room (Motorola - SBV5121), with telephone function. And then the other one in my bedroom (Cisco - DPC3000). I have a high power router connected to the Cisco modem (TP-LINK - TL-WR841HP - 300M). 

Recently, I have notice that installing an access point can help me to further extend the Wi-Fi range all over my house. Indeed, I have an oustanding router (Cisco - WRT54GC - 54M). But the issue is, I am not sure whether it works, as my ISP uses dynamic IP.

So, it would be great if I can know.

(1) If I am about to use the Cisco router as access point, must I have the same IP? Or it doesn't work in the scenario above? (p.s. I am having two different modems, although connected to cables)

(2) If it doesn't work, then can I do something like access point (i.e. same SSID, different channels)? Or I better set up a separate SSID? (e.g. Jamie_1 / Jamie_2)

I know my description is really bad, so I would be grateful if anyone can give me some ideas!

Cheers,

Jamie 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

This sound like exactly what you want to do - Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

That guide is OK but missed an important step.  The author set the 2nd router to 192.168.0.2 without checking the main routers dhcp scope which if at defaults would be from .2 to .254.  This would cause a ip conflict.  Solution is to edit the main routers dhcp scope to not include .2.  You would do this with any device you are setting with static ips in your lan; exclude them from the dhcp scope.

#4 PSCHAN

PSCHAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:32 AM

Thank you very much Kilroy and Wand3r3r. 

But I am just wondering if the IP addresses of the 2 modem are different, can I still use the guide?

Cos I know most people used to install APs with the same IP. (Most likely from the same modem, then connect to Main Router --> AP)

Thanks.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:47 AM

If the equipment is different it has to have a different IP address.  Think of an IP address like a house address for the device.  If you had two houses with the same address you'd have problems with mail and package delivery.  The same applies to a computer network.  If you have one IP address on two different devices you're going to have problems.

For example:

Modem 1:  192.168.1.1

Modem 2:  192.168.1.2

Router 1: 192.168.1.3

Wireless Access Point:  192.168.1.4

Computer 1:  192.168.1.50

Computer 2:  192.168.1.51

iPhone: 192.168.1.52

Printer:  192.168.1.100

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

Are talking different ips like one router is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.1.1?

If you connect by the wan port [2nd routers wan port connected to the 1st routers lan port] this can work though by doing so you have created two different networks and they won't be able to talk to each other.

"install APs with the same IP:"

You can never have two of the same ips in the same network or you will have a ip conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users