Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Good To Leave A Computer On For Days?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

I always leave my computer on for virus scan, error checking and downloading or uploading for days,

is it actually good to do that?

are there any down sides of always keeping a computer on for days?

any idea? suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:19 AM

It's definitely not 'good', but it's not that harmful unless you're computer is getting REALLY heated while you're gone, because then you could have a fire while you're away from the house/computer.
But as long as your computer isn't getting ridiculously hot while it's on, it should be fine.

The only downside is that wires will start getting burnt. For example, the other day I had to replace the wire going from my graphics card to my motherboard because the part connecting to my graphics card was turning a golden brown because my graphics card was getting hot. Either way, I replaced the power supply and added an extra fan as well as gave it a good cleaning and stuff, and not to mention the wire's been in my computer for almost 6 years.

On topic: You shouldn't have a problem as long as you have ventilation and maybe consider an extra fan or a higher watt'd power supply if you notice any smells of burning or anything. If you still smell the burning of stuff after upping the wattage and everything, then take it to a computer shop and let them look at it. But I'm ranting. There should be no problem.

Posted Image

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:25 AM

How would I notice if my computer is hot, when i'm sleeping or away for hours? since downloading or virus scanning takes for ages.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:38 AM

Here is a test for you/ Try staying up with out any sleep for say 5 days/ You will not make it. Now I know the computer is a machine and can stay on forever but think of this when you bootup you bring the computer up to a normal set of defaults and this is the best thing you can do for a computer as it refreshes the computer, this is sort of like you get 8 hours of sleep and get up you are refreshed, same thing with a computer it is refreshed after rebooting, not just restarting it you have to shut the computer down wait 5 minutes and then reboot it.

Also just think about the hard drives, they have bearings that if you leave the computer running will eventually wear out. Opps all of your data is gone because the drive froze. Your statememnt Oh (*&)*&.

Computers are made to be turned off. Besides one person here already said it, When you are out what happens if it catches fire. Remember the computer catching fire just by being left on is not to good except if there just happens to be a thunderstorm.

A real Pop The Magic Dragon.. Poof!

#5 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

How would I notice if my computer is hot, when i'm sleeping or away for hours? since downloading or virus scanning takes for ages.

When you return, put your hand in/near the tower and see how hot it is. If it's wickedly hot, you've got a problem, but if it's how it is normally you're fine.

Posted Image

#6 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:51 PM

I can only feel tiny warmness when I'm touching it, it's winter in Aus, I don't think the computer will ever get hot.

#7 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:42 AM

I can only feel tiny warmness when I'm touching it, it's winter in Aus, I don't think the computer will ever get hot.

Some people just don't listen. :thumbsup:
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#8 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:12 AM

HM major mistake!!!!!!!
Think of the enviroment and its implications by leaving your computer on for days!!!!!!!!!!!
Y leave it on!!??!! Just hibernate.....
As for downloads and scans, do as much of it durind the day, then turn it off at night.

TO BE HONEST, I dont like people who do this.
example:

Imagne if every user left hs computer on at night how much more carbon would be burned?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bye bye Amazon!!!! :thumbsup:
Anyway your HDD will prob crash soon, cos cant handle working all the time

:flowers:
MathsDude
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#9 tyrus

tyrus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:35 AM

Hybernate is good. I put it on hybernate when I go to sleep and when I go to work.
Posted Image

#10 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

hybernate? ok, ill do that

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

If your computer is stable you can leave it on as long as you like. I know people that leave theirs on all the time.

A normal, stable computer will not get tired, it will not burn wires, and it will not effect the OS. The only thing that takes its toll are thermal cycles, tuning it on and off, about the only downside is that running all the time will increase your electric bill.

As for shortening the life span of the hdd as one of you implied, the hdd will not work any more than it usually will. As also previously posted, the computer hibernates when it has been left on its own, and unless there is an update which you have allowed (this is assuming that you have configured your firewall properly) will stay that way, the only things that will maintain running will be the spinning of the hdd, and what ever fans are not controlled or needed. It actually is the reverse here as far as the hdd goes, the spin-up and spin-down cycles are what are the hardest on the hdd, especially when spinning up cold. The hdd is a little motor, and like all single phase motors it has to reach auto-rotation, and until this happens there is a strain on that motor.

If you are concerned about burning carbon based fuels, I would suggest that you start looking at all the TVs, stereos, microwaves, basically anything that has an LED or LCD display that stays on. All of these stay on so that the start up time will be fractions of what a cold start would take, and they add up!

Having said all this, things happen, your computer could be perfectly fine only to have it develop a problem. This could happen whether you are there to witness it, or while you're away from the computer just to get a cup of coffee. One of your RAM modules could decide to die, or the PSU could develop a bad rail, or what ever...things happen whether you are watching them or not, and they are not usually catastrophic is such a manner as to endanger you or your house.

One last point here, google is your friend, use it, ask questions and learn, from some of the post that I've read here I'm almost surprised not to have heard suggestions of sacrifices in the light of a full moon, a CPU ripped from the case of a live tower! :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:58 AM

ok......ic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users