Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntuser.dat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maxonnxc

maxonnxc

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

i have 6 NTUSER.DAT files in user name folder

why do i have 2 each of the same. is this normal.

there is a attachment i upload

thx

chris

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

Hi maxonnxc :)

It's totally normal for you to have multiple ntuser.dat files in your userprofile folder. These files contains personal preferences and settings for your user: your browsing history, your desktop properties, the way you have your files and folders listed, etc. This file is then loaded in the Registry to apply these settings. In order to keep these settings and personalisations, I suggest you to leave the ntuser.dat files alone. You can delete all the ones that have a string of number as their extensions, since they aren't in use anymore. But keep the original ntuser.dat. Even thought there's no harm in keeping all of them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 maxonnxc

maxonnxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

ok thank you for the answer :)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

No problem maxon, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users