Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can someone help me figure out where this thing might go ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lovehate 22

lovehate 22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

Hi , my mother uses a hp p6 series , the computer is located in her study room and connects to the homes wifi via this mini adapter (not exactly sure what it's exact name is , but I attached a photo) it is attached via a small cable which itself is attached somewhere inside her motherboard ..one day she happened to be vacuuming and accidenenty tripped the tower over and needless to say this thing whole thing came apart , I opened up her tower but have no idea where it might go ..any suggestions or perhaps someone can push me in the right direction ?

All help would be appreciated , thanks

Picture of the adopter in question
http://i58.tinypic.com/2dl3f2w.jpg

Edited by lovehate 22, 16 May 2015 - 03:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lovehate 22

lovehate 22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

Additionally I'd like to add a photo of the actual connecting area , its just a tiny little hook and it makes it appear as though it might be like finding a needle in a haystack
http://i62.tinypic.com/2upebli.jpg

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

I am not sure but it looks like the connection to the back plate in the computer was pulled out along with the antenna. See this pic.

http://www.dappz.com/images/computer_parts/HP-594323-001-oem.jpg?osCsid=l4134a7g4l323b3uv2cdghpsl7

Look for this card and connect the antenna wire to the location shown. It should clip on unless the connection point is now broken which from the second image does look like the connection is broken. Make sure you unplug any power source and ground yourself on bare metal of the case before attaching the cable.

Edit: If the connection is broken instead of purchasing another mini PCI card like the one below you can use an adapter like this if you have an available USB port on the back of the computer. The one shown is not compatible with Windows 8 though.

c02872338.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 May 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

John gave good advice, and I agree that it may have been damaged in the accident. If this turns out to be the case, a cheap and good fix is to use a USB wireless adapter. I have been using this for years since the integrated wireless component on my mainboard failed, and it works flawlessly. I also use one in my shop in the basement for when computers come in for repair, and that one has  been also working for years. Just plug it in to any free USB port and install the included software (try it first, you may not have to install the software; if it starts working you are home free). :thumbup2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX21P7828&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users