Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Finding Drivers For Modem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:40 AM

I have a GVC Model: D-1156IV/P2 modem from a Compaq Presario 5000 pc, and I'm having trouble finding the drivers for it. Yeah...I know, I could just spend ten bucks and buy another, but it's the principal! (That translates to " male stubborness")

If anyone can or will help, I sure would appreciate it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:17 AM

Try looking here: http://www.modem-drivers.com/drivers/63/63772.htm
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:46 AM

Thank you for the response and the effort Floydoid,

I saw that site when I googled for the drivers, and left as soon as I saw that it required registering. If you followed the instructions it will eventually explain that they would "occasionally" e-mail you with information on "related" services. The last thing I want is to be on another mailing list for products that I don't need or want.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:34 AM

I found this on the Compaq website:

Modem information and driver updates
All original modem drivers for the version of Windows that came with your HP Pavilion PC can be installed using the application recovery process. If you do not have your original recovery discs or you have changed the operating system, then use the following table to download and install a modem driver:

Drivers are not available for download from HP. Original driver is available on the last recovery disc or you can use a generic modem driver by Microsoft from the list of hardware manufacturers in the Add New Hardware wizard.

Is it possible for you to use a generic driver for this? I can't find drivers for winxp, only ME...although the drivers say "may work with other OS"....Key word being "may" as if in "may" crash your system :thumbsup:

I'd try to let Windows install it automatically (find the drivers automatically). If not, I'd try using generic drivers.....and use the WINME drivers as a last resort. You could also call the manufacturer (their website is useless though, but lists an 800 number to call for support) here.

I've also found some downloads here. Of course, I don't have a modem so I can't verify that these will work (sorry!).

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for the response and the effort Floydoid,

I saw that site when I googled for the drivers, and left as soon as I saw that it required registering. If you followed the instructions it will eventually explain that they would "occasionally" e-mail you with information on "related" services. The last thing I want is to be on another mailing list for products that I don't need or want.

dc3 you don't have a desposiable email address. :thumbsup:

I found a modem driver for a modem that they claim that came with that computer. Modem
Have you use Belare and\or Everest to try and get more infomation about the modem? Have you tried to pull numbers off the modem's BIOS chip? I have run down drivers that way also.

Edited by acklan, 05 July 2006 - 10:58 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for the response guys,

stevealmighty...this is a new installation of W2k, there are no drivers to be found for this modem here.

As for calling these people, it seems that there are two things that they are willing to talk to you about, spending you money on them, or making you feel good about the money that you recently spent on them.

I will check out the Soft32 later tonight.

acklan...I did use Everest to look at the modem, and it describes it as being a PCTel platinum V.90 modem, and the board has GVC Model: D-1156IV/P2 printed on it. The only thing that is conclusive here is that it was made in China, as to who made it for whom, I have not idea. Who do I believe here, my lying eyes, or everest? :thumbsup:

My stubborn streak is ebbing away, and the prospect of spending fifteen or twenty bucks for a new modem with the porper driver is quickly becoming more appealing.

As for a disposiable email address, where do I sign up? :flowers:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:13 AM

Try signing up YouWillNeverSpamMeHere(at)gmail*com I use gmail because you can use it with OE. I check it for activation keys them Select All and Delete everything without opening.

While rooting around I found this site. I thing it will do.. http://www.modem-help.com/mfcs.php?mid=46&nid=6162

Edited by acklan, 06 July 2006 - 12:18 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users