Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the Difference Between Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pdmike

pdmike

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:02 PM

I am a long-time user of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  Only today, I became acquainted with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit which is a separate program from the standard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.  I purchased Anti-Exploit and it is now happily at work, protecting my computer right along with its big brother, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

So - what's the difference between the two programs?  I know that Anti-Exploit is constantly running in the background and, presumably, will sound off if something bad is trying to happen.  At least I think that's basically how it works.

But how is that any different from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

What does one do that the other does not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

Hi pdmike :)

To put it simply (since I'm on my phone), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an Antimalware program which aims at protecting your system against known malware threats: adware, spyware, rootkits, etc. So your traditional Antimalware. All the threats detected by Malwarebytes are known threats. Which means that they exist in Malwarebytes database and have been documented by it. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is a mitigation program if I can call it like that. Its meant to prevent your programs (the ones supported by its free and paid versions) from being exploited by what we call Zero Day Exploits. Zero Days are in the wild exploits that haven't been patched yet and that can be used to like the name states, exploit a vulnerability in a program. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will therefore monitor the programs it supports and blocks any Zero-Day attempts if it detects a behavior associated with a known Zero Day method. Usually, Zero Days are meant to exploit a system in order to protect it, since they can be used to drop malware on a system. Malwarebytes Anti-Explpot protects these exploits from happening, while Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is used to protect your system against the malware that can be dropped by these exploits.

My explanation wasn't the best there is since I'm typing on my phone, but I hope you didn't understand it. Otherwise, I can go in a more in depth explanation.

Edit: gonzo from Malwarebytes gives a little explanation on the difference between the two products here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/150854-why-anti-exploit-and-not-part-of-anti-malware/

A short and easy to understand summary.

Edited by Aura., 15 May 2015 - 11:11 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE), formerly ExploitShield by ZeroVulnerabilityLabs, is a security program that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit provides three layers of exploit protection (against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, application behavior protection). MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application. MBAE leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive, does not utilize a lot of system resources and does not use a signature database so there is no need for constant updating.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit includes a 14-day trial mode for the Premimum version which you can enable during installation by checking the box when prompted. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium includes additional protecton (Shields) for PDF readers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Media players and allows the ability to add/manage custom shields. The Premium version requires a registration ID and purchase of a license key after the trial period expires.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users