Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Century Link Tracking Physical Location question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

When on the internet I have recently been plagued with an annoying orange pop up box that runs the entire width across the bottom of my screen that reads "CENTURY LINK WANTS TO TRACK YOUR PHYSICAL LOCATION" "ALLOW ONCE---DON'T ALLOW".

Then  there is a drop down arrow in the corner of the box that reads "OPTIONS FOR THIS SITE". When I click to read the options it gives me two options which read "ALLOW ONCE OR NEVER ALLOW AND DON'T ASK AGAIN".

My questions are:

What the heck is this?

Why would Century Link (my telephone and internet provider) want to track my physical location?

Should I allow them to do this, or should I click on "NEVER ALLOW AND DON'T ASK AGAIN"?

Since I don't know what this is, I'm not sure of my proper response.

I hate it when these kinds of boxes pop up that give you little information and zero explanation.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

The purpose for wanting to track your physical location is to be able to provide you with more accurate mobile features. Such as Googling for restaurant suggestions, gas stations. Map services, travel time or traffic information. That's the primary function. The same features can be used from a desktop computer too. If you wish to enable the feature. But it's primary design was for mobile usage.

Then there are those people who insist they never want to be tracked. To each their own. It's a personal choice.

Me personally? I enable it selectively as needed. Most often if I need to track myself and my phone should I become separated from it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

The purpose for wanting to track your physical location is to be able to provide you with more accurate mobile features. Such as Googling for restaurant suggestions, gas stations. Map services, travel time or traffic information. That's the primary function. The same features can be used from a desktop computer too. If you wish to enable the feature. But it's primary design was for mobile usage.

Then there are those people who insist they never want to be tracked. To each their own. It's a personal choice.

Me personally? I enable it selectively as needed. Most often if I need to track myself and my phone should I become separated from it.

Thanks for your response Animal. This pop up is coming to my desk top.

Century Link and companies like them would get much better cooperation from their customers if they would simply EXPLAIN what and why they want to do this. When computer novices such as my self see this kind of thing it creates a multitude of emotional responses, most being negative since one cannot trust anyone these days. All I see is that someone wants to TRACK me. They actually think I'm going to allow someone to track me with no explanation why??? Not in this life!!

They make the common mistaken assumption that we are all computer geeks.

Edited by harkcomp, 17 May 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users