Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer with high Ram Usage- THANKS!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

It seems like svchost.exe is taking up a lot of RAM.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;
  • In addition, enter this next command in the command prompt you opened findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • A file called sfcdetails.txt will be created on your desktop. Upload it to ge.tt and post the download link in your next reply.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc ?scannow

Microsoft ® Windows ® Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect version
s with
correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
    [/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>
]

/SCANNOW        Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files
with
                problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY     Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operati
on is
                performed.
/SCANFILE       Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems
 are
                identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE     Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>.  No re
pair
                operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR     For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot dire
ctory
/OFFWINDIR      For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows d
irectory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
        sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
        sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDI
R=d:\windows
        sfc /VERIFYONLY

C:\Windows\system32>

#18 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

You entered sfc ?scannow. You need to put a / and not a ?.

sfc /scannow

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#19 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

I am doing it now.  Sorry it took so long.  It took me way too long to realize your reply was on the second page

#20 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

http://ge.tt/9a2krTG2/v/0?c

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc ?scannow

Microsoft ® Windows ® Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect version
s with
correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
    [/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>
]

/SCANNOW        Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files
with
                problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY     Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operati
on is
                performed.
/SCANFILE       Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems
 are
                identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE     Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>.  No re
pair
                operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR     For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot dire
ctory
/OFFWINDIR      For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows d
irectory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
        sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
        sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDI
R=d:\windows
        sfc /VERIFYONLY

C:\Windows\system32>findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

C:\Windows\system32>findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\
Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\
Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\system32>

#21 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Alright. Can you restart your computer and see if you still have high memory usage?

unite_blue.png

#22 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

http://imgur.com/3xHXONV

my new task manager.  Performance seems better.  Still not able to change startup programs.  And ram seems better still hovering at 60 percent with only chrome open.  svchost seems really high ram usage still.  Thank you again for helping me. Sorry for the delay in response for this one.

after about 20 min after start up and regular usage the performance has dropped again to having very slow response time. and slow opening apps

Edited by morrowky, 16 May 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#23 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

How are you trying to change startup programs? And how do you want to change them? Which ones do you want to disable/enable?

unite_blue.png

#24 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

control panel, change start up programs. I was going to disable ccleaner.  Just throwing the kitchen sink and trying everything I can.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2743187   should I do this?

Edited by morrowky, 16 May 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#25 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

What if I wiped everything and started new?  What would I need?  I don't have the disk or anything for my microsoft office.  Is their any way to get that back if I don't have it or a code?

#26 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

You can try applying the hotfix, yes. Let me know what it gives after a restart. You can also wipe your drive clean and reinstall Windows. Do you have your original installation media (CD, DVD, USB)? And you can get your Windows and Office product keys using ProduKey by NirSoft.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

unite_blue.png

#27 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

i tried the hotfix but when I click to extract files it says error 40.  But the problem described sounds exactly like my problem.  It starts off not so bad then just gets progressively worse.  I don't have the original instillation media

Edited by morrowky, 16 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#28 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

Where are you trying to extract the files at?

unite_blue.png

#29 morrowky

morrowky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

It just automatically pops up as extracting files when I run the program

#30 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

Right-click on the executable and select Run as Administrator. Does it still throws you an error code?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users