Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External backup drive full files waiting to right to disc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sapphire888

Sapphire888

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hello everyone

Wonder if you can assist me.  Having a backup issue.  Have a Samsung Seagate  backup 1tb hardrive used for backup. I use window 7 backup not the software that's on the drive.    The drive is showing 1//4 full, and files awaiting  to be written balloon, keeps coming up on the right corner, of my screen  On Checking there is a red line though the external drive, which I think is telling me that the drive space has been calculated and found there to not be enough room.

The external drive was set up for full backup, then after that incremental backups, about 7 months ago.  The computer is also very slow, presume because these files are awaiting.

Have researched on internet and someone suggested clearing the temporary burn cache  folder, to remove files waiting to be written to disk.  Not sure if this would work, as the files I am trying to remove are from a incremental backup.

Would the following approach work   Attach another backup drive, but a lot bigger say 2tb just in case!. Redirect the windows 7 backup software to that drive, then set it to do a backup, so getting the files written somewhere at least, off the system.?  Or am I way off base.... don't want to damage the computers backup system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sapphire888

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

Your plan sounds good.  I recommend Macrium Reflect or if you're geekish - Acronis True Image.  External to Windows backup/restore programs have a much better restore record than Windows built-in Backup stuff.  Also, if desired, you can delete contents within Users --> [your acct] --> AppData --> Local --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Burn directory, but do not delete the directory itself. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users