Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Keep Reinstalling

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:40 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576160/cant-download-windows-updates/ - Hamluis.

I have a similar problem where two updates keep reinstalling and tried the "fix it."  It didn't work for me neither.  I've been tempted tp check the "Do Not Check or Install Updates too.

I have mine set on "only install important updates and wonder how important are any of these updates at all.

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2015 - 11:29 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:24 AM

Hello

Which updates keep reinstalling?

First thing to always do is to check for corrupt system files:

SFC /SCANNOW
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  • Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.
Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

Edited by Go The Power, 16 May 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#3 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

Thankyou but I hesitate to upload new files.

The updates that failed are marked "securities" Like this one (and there were 14):

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB3032655)

Installation date: ‎5/‎15/‎2015 8:53 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80073712

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

===============================================================================================================================

The ones that successfully went through are:Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.197.2571.0)

Installation date: ‎5/‎15/‎2015 6:29 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information: 

Help and Support: 
 I changed my settings to:
CHECK FOR SETTINGS BUT LET ME CHOOSE WHEN TO DOWNLOAD  AND INSTALL THEM.

The computer works fine with no repeat update reinstalls  when I turn it off.

#4 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:54 AM

Hello,

I really need the CBS log to be able to troubleshoot this error code. Were you able to upload the log to Dropbox or Onedrive. I am not really sure what you mean by "but I hesitate to upload new files."

#5 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

It's pretty clear" I hesitate to upload new files..." just what I said; because new uploads can add problems to a computer.  I have never used drop box and can't go through a bunch of complicated steps I don't understand

I reset my computer to "check for updates but let me decide whether to upload them or not..." The problem went away and there are 14 "important" updates sitting there but ARE they important? I think all these updates just conflict and they were the cause of my blue screens; which went away.  

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

I think all these updates just conflict and they were the cause of my blue screens; which went away.  

FWIW:  You may think that, if you so desire.  But, IMO, that line of thought is belied by the large numbers of users who have downloaded/installed such updates...and experience no problems at all.  I don't know the ratio of complaints to non-complaints...but I suspect that any statistical analysis based on such would go against your line of  thought.

Louis

#7 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

A while back a repair guy who repairs computers for major companies came by to eliminate my blue screens.  He uninstalled a bunch of programs including McAfee full scan and installed Avast (free). The blue screens went away.

When I started getting the endless reinstalling of two microsoft updates after 14 were "installed" I reset my computer to check for updates but let me decide whether to upload them or not..." They went away.  The computer works fine.  If I recall correctly it's been like a year since I got these update notices when it was set on the previous "upload important updates..." Seems to me like a lot of added junk can be uploaded; and that may have been what caused the previous blue screens because the repair guy said "blue screens can be caused by conflicting updates."

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

Understood...but remember that each/every human being...has the capacity to be erroneous in their seemingly logical linking of events and thoughts.  The fact that a Windows update is at fault (there have been a couple)...is a long way from assuming that windows updates are the root cause of every situation/problem that a given system may develop.

Getting beyond this nearsighted approach...is one reason why any member may request additional data (in various forms/formats) concerning the troublesome situation.

Louis

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

A while back a repair guy who repairs computers for major companies came by to eliminate my blue screens.  He uninstalled a bunch of programs including McAfee full scan and installed Avast (free). The blue screens went away.

When I started getting the endless reinstalling of two microsoft updates after 14 were "installed" I reset my computer to check for updates but let me decide whether to upload them or not..." They went away.  The computer works fine.  If I recall correctly it's been like a year since I got these update notices when it was set on the previous "upload important updates..." Seems to me like a lot of added junk can be uploaded; and that may have been what caused the previous blue screens because the repair guy said "blue screens can be caused by conflicting updates."

FYI, we have had users come to BC before who are terrified to update Windows. It can be a bit of a phobia. It's OK to review updates before installing IF you know enough about it to decide that. But when you use that option to not install any updates, it becomes a phobia and you are risking serious computer problems. I know I don't know enough to decide what updates to install. And when I did have an update issue, the guys here helped me fix it myself. I think you have developed a fear that needs to be overcome. Let the guys here help you do that. Excuse my amateur psychology.

#10 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

I get "security updates" so  I hesitate to install since my computer is working so well.  I googled security updates and got this definition: 

1. Patch Tuesday (a.k.a. Update Tuesday) is an unofficial term used to refer to when Microsoft regularly releases security patches for its software products. It is widely referred to in this way by the industry.
  2. Since I'm not sure if this is anything I need I'm not doing the updates.  

#11 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

FYI, we have had users come to BC before who are terrified to update Windows. It can be a bit of a phobia. It's OK to review updates before installing IF you know enough about it to decide that. But when you use that option to not install any updates, it becomes a phobia and you are risking serious computer problems. I know I don't know enough to decide what updates to install. And when I did have an update issue, the guys here helped me fix it myself. I think you have developed a fear that needs to be overcome. Let the guys here help you do that. Excuse my amateur psychology.

The reason people are phobic about doing the updates is because it IS problematic.  And no one here has told me which ones are needed so until I know that from anyone I'll do nothing.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

So your choice to "review" updates before installing is baloney. You're preventing updates from installing out of irrationality. Do you understand that's the wrong approach? And with that attitude, why would anyone here help you if you won't help yourself? You're making it a bigger problem than it is. Since you're here looking for help that you don't really want, how's that working for you?

#13 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

Yes I choose to review updates.  What are they for?

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:47 AM

A lot of them are security patches and you're leaving your PC more vulnerable by preventing the updates from installing. And it's all out of fear of nothing. So I'm not wasting any more time with you. Please do not bother to respond with another lame defense of your irrational behaviour. Go back and install your updates or don't waste our time.

#15 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

I installed them manually because my settings are I don't want them automatically installed.  Beacuse of that the failed ones did not go through a constant reinstall after i turn off the computer.  I posted this response in case it helps others. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users