Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it a virus or something else??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nakido

Nakido

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hello BC, I would first like to start off by saying that I am, in my opinion, an intermediate when it comes to the computer world, but by no means am I a pro and this one is definitely kicking my brain six ways to Sunday. I live in storm central so it is no surprise how often lightning strikes around here and I am usually prone to keeping tabs on it so that I won't lose another expensive piece of hardware but these last storms caught me off guard and it just happened too fast for my reaction. The power didn't knock out but it did in fact flicker with enough loss to reboot my tower and it did what one of my older ones did at first, which was somewhat freeze up during the boot process as if Windows files were corrupted. I finally loaded in and followed my procedures which was to admit sfc scans and figure out if I had anything that wasn't functioning properly, and in fact there was. It appeared to have corrupted files but sfc was unable to repair said files. I gathered the CBS.log file and read through all of the damaged files, though at the end it said that they all were repaired, even though I followed through with multiple sfc scans that appeared with the same outcome. Puzzled, I looked into deeper methods because my internet, including net surfing and gaming had become unusually slow and my mind thought that perhaps these happenings triggered a viral outbreak in my system and started looking about on multiple virus removal programs, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, RogueKiller and a couple of others. Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware both picked up usual cookies and a couple of PUP's but they were quickly removed, but RogueKiller, which is one I am unfamiliar with, picked up a bunch of other issues, including orphans, which is one i had to research before continuing, and quite a few other problems within my registry. Now, as I stated, I am unfamiliar with RogueKiller and I did read that you need to be sure what you are deleting before doing so and that got me a little nervous so I did not touch anything on the lists, and in fact removed RogueKiller, mainly out of confused instinct. Everything that looked bad on there was in fact just possible malware as it stated but a caution none-the-less. These are my worst problems involving finding anything malicious on my system so I am unaware if I am infected or if indeed I have corrupted OS files at which if I do, I will gladly move my topic up to where it needs to be. I do not wish to waste anymore time than I have to, I have a lot of respect to how well you all perform and understand that you have outside lives to live, but when you do get a hold of this thread I will greatly appreciate you!

Sincerely, Nakido

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2015 - 12:09 PM.
moved from Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nakido

Nakido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

I apologize, I forgot to mention my OS which is Windows 7 64-bit.

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users