Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows.old

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zakisbak

zakisbak

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

Hi

I installed Vista,previously had xp.

There is a large file called windows.old that seems to be copy of my old xp files.
Is it ok to delete windows.old?

I have transferred some files from windows.old to hard drive,will this remain?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

Hi zakisbak :)

The windows.old folder is created when you do an "Upgrade" installation of Windows. All your personal data will be stored in that folder at the root of the C:. It is totally safe to delete if you don't have any use for it. Instead of the traditionnal right-click and "Delete" method, which can fail for this folder, I suggest you to do try to delete it with the Windows Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) tool instead. You'll have an option called "Previous installation of Windows" in the list, and this will take care of that folder.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

If I recall correctly, you'll have to use the "Clean up system files" option to see "Previous installation of Windows" listed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Thanks Aura

Swift reply! :bananas:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

No problem zakisbak, let me know how it goes :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

can i zip my windows old file. seems too big.:)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

There's no point in zipping it. If you zip it, it won't be picked up by the Disk Cleanup. Simply follow the instructions below in order to delete it :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users