Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a wireless modem, but can't get on wireless. Only by cable.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:01 AM

I have a wireless modem.

It is a Surfboard SBG6580 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. Made by Motorola. The word Arris is next to the word Motorola. I own the modem, and I called Time Warner. I have a desktop computer connected to it with a cable. I tried going on with the laptop wirelesssly, but it won't. It detects a signal, but it wouldn't go on. I had one laptop update Windows, and it wasn't connected with the cord. I was on the internet with my desktop at the time. I did the setup, and everything. My laptop is a Windows Xp. I have another laptop with Linux Mint. I have not tried that one out yet.

Would my modem work without a wireless router? Do I need a wireless router?  Can I get a wireless router for less than $60.00?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

Did you set up a password for the wireless? does it ask you for it when you try to connect?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

I set the password up. I connected the cord to the laptop, and got on to the modem with the cord. After I set that up, I then unplugged the cord. It asked for the password, and I entered that right. But it wouldn't go on. It showed a list of connections. And I chose my wi-fi. But each time I did, it wouldn't connect. My modem is about 50 feet from my bedroom. Would that hurt anything? Could it be too far?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:53 AM

If you are getting a strong signal then nope that is not the issue. Has this wireless worked other places? Is it giving an error when try to connect?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

I was at my step sisters house two years ago, and it worked fine.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

Go into Device manager, right click the wireless card and click Uninstall. Click OK and reboot. It will reinstall the card, then try it.

#7 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Would that be on the laptop? Its a Dell computer.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

On whatever is having the issue

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

Before you spend a lot of time trouble shooting, make sure that Time Warner has not turned the wireless off. 

On these combo units, the cable companies configuration file can turn the wireless router section on and off, and TWC has been know to mess up and configure the modem without the wireless.  After all, when you are leasing a similar modem/router, TWC charges extra for wireless. 

One of the reasons why its best to use separate modem and router boxes. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Last month, I called TWC to have the modem turned on. Do I have to call them for the wireless? Right now I have a cable going to my desktop computer. I have to unplug the cord to my desktop, if I want to use the laptop.

#11 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

Yes, I would suggest you call them and make sure they don't have the wireless disabled.  Or if you would prefer, the support people here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect really know what they are doing.  You could post and ask them to check that your wireless is not disabled.  Be sure to explain that it is a customer owned modem/router in either case. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

So with TWC, you can go in and set it up, see the SSID, and the wireless is still off?

#13 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

I called TWC, and I talked to a woman. She told me that home wi-fi would cost extra. She quoted two different prices. One was $20.00 a month extra, she said that one was faster. I told her no, that I couldn't afford it. She then said $10.00 a month extra. I said no, that I'm not interested. So, if I were to get a wireless router, would I have to call TWC for that? To have them turn that on. If so, I might get a cable router. I have a blu ray player that I have plan to put up. What would be a good router to get, for less than 40, or $50.00? It should work with the modem I have.

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

wow....and I am about to start shopping for an ISP, TWC is off the menu. Of course Comcast is, not sure which is worse lol.

I'd look for a wireless access point. TWC's equipment should see it like any other device and hand out addresses like normal to anything connecting to it. As far as brand, I don't give advice on brands outside ones I have personally dealt with but if you stick with a major brand you'll be fine. I have seen a lot of good reviews on TP-Link equipment so maybe start with them. Their prices are rather reasonable. For your price range you should be able to find plenty of devices that will work across all brands.

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

So, if I were to get a wireless router

You already have a wireless router. The issue seems to be with your ISP, and not your router.

Here's an interesting thread with some more information on the TWC forum:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/What-is-up-with-the-quot-Home-Wifi-quot-charge-of-4-95/td-p/12209

Edited by Al1000, 18 May 2015 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users