Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive getting full

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbybell

Bobbybell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

I have Window 7 (64 bit) system, with SSD drive 120 gb where the window installed. Second drive 2tb for storage. From the last couple of months my C drive is getting heavier and heavier I have no idea what is taking much of its space. Run couple of time disc cleaner but only get 30 mb back.

Have anyone idea what to do? Thanks in advance.

Rrgd.

Edited by Bobbybell, 15 May 2015 - 05:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hi Bobbybell :)

You could use WinDirStat to get an idea of what's taking up so much space on your SSD, and where that space is being taken. Personally, I also have a 120GB SSD and I have 17GB of space left on it. Also, do you install all your programs on the SSD, or your HDD?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Bobbybell

Bobbybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:47 AM

Hi Bobbybell :)

You could use WinDirStat to get an idea of what's taking up so much space on your SSD, and where that space is being taken. Personally, I also have a 120GB SSD and I have 17GB of space left on it. Also, do you install all your programs on the SSD, or your HDD?

Hi Aura, Thanks for the reply. I do install WinDirStat, however have no idea what to delete? I went through a youtube tutorial using WinDirStat it did not much help. However I was able to retain couple of MBs after deleted some temporary folder via WinDirStat that I did not see in disc cleaner!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

If you want, you can maximize the WinDirStat window, take a screenshot of it and post it here. I can try to direct you as to where to look at.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Bobbybell

Bobbybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

If you want, you can maximize the WinDirStat window, take a screenshot of it and post it here. I can try to direct you as to where to look at.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:

• Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

SnippingTool is not working on the system, it asked to restart the system, however it is still not fire up. Shall I take print screen shoot from keyboard, will that works?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

Yes, you can use the Print Screen button and paste it in Paint then save the screenshot.

unite_blue.png

#7 Bobbybell

Bobbybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi Aura

Please see the attach!

Attached Files

• Attached File  BB.jpg   124.88KB   0 downloads

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

The numbers dont add up. I think I know whats happening. Click on the Windows Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. From there, click on Advanced System Settings. Under the System Protection tab, click on the Configure button. Tell me how much space is currently used by System Restore points, and what's the maximum space allocated to these.

unite_blue.png

#9 Bobbybell

Bobbybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

The numbers dont add up. I think I know whats happening. Click on the Windows Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. From there, click on Advanced System Settings. Under the System Protection tab, click on the Configure button. Tell me how much space is currently used by System Restore points, and what's the maximum space allocated to these.

The current use is 3.73 gb, and maximum is 4.47gb

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

If you want, you can click on the Delete button to delete all these past System Restore points. This will free at least 3.73GB of the SSD.
Also, is your SSD partionned? Or its just a single partition?

unite_blue.png

#11 Bobbybell

Bobbybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

If you want, you can click on the Delete button to delete all these past System Restore points. This will free at least 3.73GB of the SSD.
Also, is your SSD partionned? Or its just a single partition?

:bananas:  I really did not want those past restore points. How can I delete?

#12 Bobbybell

Bobbybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

yes I deleted it.

Thanks for the help Aura

Edited by Bobbybell, 15 May 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

Does your SSD have one partition or multiple ones? And no problem!

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users