Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Internet speed with the addition of a wifi repeater

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 topwop

topwop

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:05 AM

I have been having very slow wifi internet access with my desktop in my home office (eg. 1.5 mb download, when I'm paying for 50mb; I had the same problem with my laptop); direct connection to router I got 60mb; with wifi laptop in same room as router I was getting 45mb, but in my office, 1.5mb.  So, I got a new modem/router (Arris sbg6782-ACH). Once connected I was getting 20mb wifi on my desktop & 45mb with my laptop in my office.  This was pretty darn good.  But the Comcast tech told me I could do better with the addition of a repeater.  So I purchase a wifi repeater on the net, installed it; now I'm getting ONLY 4-7mb down with my desktop, but 50+mb on the laptop in my office.  I immediately disconnected the repeater, to NO avail. I cannot get back to 20mb.  I have tried resetting everything, downloading updates, changing channels, etc. etc. etc. to NO avail.  I talked with Motorola, a tech guru, reset modem with Comcast, but nothing gets me back to the 20mb I enjoyed for over 2 weeks b/4 adding that d*** repeater. It seems like some repeater software was downloaded & it's overriding the actual Arris router.  I am fried!  Can ENYONE HELP, PLZ???

Edited by computerxpds, 15 May 2015 - 07:00 AM.
Moved from mini-guides forum to networking forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

Any software for a repeater would only be to configure it and would have no other affect.

Did you connect the repeater to the router or the arris?

I take it this is effecting the wired connection to the router also?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 15 May 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#3 topwop

topwop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for your reply Wand3r3r.  I connected the repeater to AC only, and wifi to the network. It has not affected the router at all.  It makes sense that once the repeater is completely disconnected, that all should go back to the way they were. Unfortunately, that did not happen.  Over the last 2 weeks, since I installed the new router (only), I would check the speed & it routinely registered about 20mb on my office desktop (even just b/4 installing the repeater); once the repeater was in place (within 5 minutes) I registered 4 mb and have continued to get from 4-7mb. I'm tearing my hear out! any other suggestions, anyone???

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hit the reset button on the Arris which will put it back to factory settings then setup again.  That will clear any AP connection issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users