Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Set an Avatar?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pdmike

pdmike

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

All right - I give up.  How do you set an avatar here?  I go into my profile and click on "Change" in the upper left hand corner of my picture (which is just a silhouette at this point).  In the next screen, I click on "Custom" and browse to a picture that is on my hard drive.  I click on Open.  I then click on Done.  I exit my profile.  No avatar.

What am I doing wrong? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Upper right corner where your display name is there is a pulldown menu. Little white arrowhead.

Click that.

Right hand column at the top is My Settings.

Click that.

Upper most tab on the left side should say Profile Settings.

Tab itself should have a heading of General Account Settings.

Top of that page should be button that says Change My Photo.

Click that and a photo editor will pop up. Choose your photo from there.

When done cropping click Done.

You'll need to refresh your browser to see the new avatar.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 pdmike

pdmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I did everything you suggested, including refreshing my browser, but still no avatar.  It's frustrating.  First off, I am in love with this site.  Alex just saved my computer Big Time.  I have become a huge fan and plan to be here for some time.  As such, I want to have an avatar, darn it!

I don't know.  I browse to pictures which are on my hard disk.  I select the one I want and click on Open.  I go back to the screen where you can crop if you need to.  But the pictures does not appear in the box.  It's still just the black and white silhouette.  Nothing to crop.  Of cousre, clicking on Done at that point accomplishes nothing.

What do you think?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

I'll send you a PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 texasliz

texasliz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

I followed the recommended steps. Chose & downloaded my pic; jpeg icon shows up so appears upload "took". Tried to crop but only the generic silhouette there. Hit ok = no change; hit cancel = no change; hit refresh browser = no change, no picture...

I use a MAC; not sure if this has any impact.

Suggestions appreciated...

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

@texasliz

I sent you a PM.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:37 PM

Your avatar has been updated.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 texasliz

texasliz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

WOW!!

Thanks Animal !!

You're the best - 

texasliz

#9 osirisjem

osirisjem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

I couldn't upload an avatar either.

IPB3 seemed to give no feedback why it wasn't working.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

@osirisjem

I sent you a PM.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 hiahia

hiahia

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

I think it fail to upload avatar from the computer. But I tried to import image URL, finally update my avatar haha.

#12 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:35 AM

Hello hiahia,

I had the same problem, but importing image over image URL worked fine.  :thumbup2:

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users