Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude Heat sink question. GPU has a soft contact pad, should I grease it

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

So I am redoing the thermal paste on this Dell Latitude E6400. It has the T9900 core 2 duo which has 6mg of L2 cache. Its a work horse. 

I'm sending it to India and I know it will get hot. I bought a decent laptop cooler, but I need to redo the paste. 

The CPU obviously gets paste, but should I put paste on the part of the heatsink that goes to the GPU?  There is no paste there now, only a squishy pad. 

I had another one of these and I did put paste on it, seemed to fix the overheating problem when I used alot of graphics. 

Here is a picture. 

The gpu "squishy pad is top left. There is a depression on the pad from where it pressed against the gpu these past 6 years.

Dell_E6400_CPU_Fan_Heatsink__75257.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

Yes, but you should use a thermal paste created to replace those terrible thermal pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K5-PRO-gummy-sticky-viscus-thermal-paste-grease-for-thermal-pad-replacement-20g-/390949819525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b066cd485

y'know? That thermal grease is from Greece. You'd be getting grease from Greece. KEKEKEKEKEKEKKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEK

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

Damn... I have to finish this tonight. It's getting on a plane tomorrow morning. 

I am near a microcenter, but they don't open until 10 am and it needs to be done and packed by then. 

So.... what do you think about a little smidge on the existing pad?

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

OH!! Yeah, that should suffice for that.

But NOT TOO MUCH!!

#5 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

too late. I pulled the pad off and had to lay it on kind of thick to make good contact. I didn't go crazy, but about as thick as a paper match. 

I used arctic silver Cermique 2. Tri-linear Ceramic thermal compound.  Its what I had in my bag. 

#6 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:49 PM

As long as it didn't short out anything, its good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users