Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Locate A Log Of Events

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikecomputer

mikecomputer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:58 PM

Greetings,

Help! My son somehow got hold of some work emails of mine that are confidential. Does anyone have any idea how he may have got hold of them? We don't want to "password" the computer 'cos the whole family uses it. We all clear temp internet files and clear the history of sites visited. but somehow ...! Help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:07 PM

Hi there mike.

Well, firstly, I'm going to assume that you're using a e-mail client. (Such as Mozilla Thunderbird, Netscape, something like that) as oppose to using the browser to view the e-mails.
I strongly discourage using a e-mail client without a password protection on it if it's a shared computer, because then it's quite easy for someone to access your e-mails, and the only way to check to see if they did is if the e-mail is newly recieved and you can see that it's been read or unread, although it's easy to tag them as read/unread without even reading them.

So my first suggestion in keeping your e-mails confidential is accessing them using the browser and checking to make sure that the password isn't saved. Otherwise, use the e-mail client only make sure that e-mails cannot be viewed without entering the password to their account.

I hope that helps,
nyiddle.

Posted Image

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

Sign up (pay) for a Yahoo or Hotmail Webmail account. Make sure they allow you to follow email from a POP3 account thru them. The only way the email cam be viewed then is by someone that has password access to your account. This will also allow you to easily access your emails from anywhere on the internet.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:58 AM

If you are using outlook express, you can set up separate identities for each user, and password protect each one. (do it via the file menu/manage identities).
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#5 mikecomputer

mikecomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup: I think I've done what you suggest.

Is there any way to see what programs someone has had open;
to see where they've been, etc? Like an audit trail?

I could also use that for spot-checking things at work.

Any ideas?

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

Is there an IT department where you work?

If there is please leave this type of activity to them, they are good at it and they have all of the stuff to do this sort of thing.

Edited by ThorXP, 05 July 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

Since so many family members do use the computer, a good idea would be to create seperate user accounts for each member & assign them each a password to log in with. Making them limited accounts wouldn't be a bad idea either. Read the article below to see how it's done.

Create User Accounts

Then read the following article on how to password protect your account as an administrator. One member of the family should be an administrator.

Protect With Passwords

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users