Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats this URL?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wizzlmang

Wizzlmang

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

it popped up in my webshield log while I was away from my comp, switched off my user account. Anyone know what it is or why my computer connected to it?

iVdzaz1.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizzlmang

Wizzlmang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

Now this one is popping up fairly regularly. I know the IP is the standard one for a netgear router, which is what I use, but what's it doing for this to pop up so often? it's always the exact same one, too, I checked.

gjb6HFK.jpg

Edited by Wizzlmang, 16 May 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#3 Wizzlmang

Wizzlmang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:55 AM

Now this one is popping up fairly regularly. I know the IP is the standard one for a netgear router, which is what I use, but what's it doing for this to pop up so often? it's always the exact same one, too, I checked.

gjb6HFK.jpg

ok, i did some digging here, and it LOOKS like this IP in particular is associated with one of the android phones on the network, I think my sister's. The URL will sometimes pop up over and over until I reset the router, then it'll stop for a few days befoe it might pop up again. I've also discovered that if I turn off network discovery in my computer, the URL will stop showing up.

Her phone's not infected with something and trying to spread itself across the network, is it?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

You are on the right track with it being one of the phones connected to your network.
Webshield is (I assume) simply telling you that the device is on the network.

I doubt that it has anything to do with an infection trying to spread across your network.

You did not say WHAT model(s) of Android phone(s) are being used. However, looking at the phone might tell you something about what you are seeing.

Note that these are the steps I took on my Galaxy S5. Other phones may be the same or similar.

Open Settings.

Look for About Phone, open it.

Next open Status.

Scroll down and look for IP address.  Compare that to the numbers you posted in your first post. The first set may be the IP address. http://[fe80::etc]

In addition, if you log in to the Netgear set up page and root around for devices connected to the network you will see the MAC address from phone settings is the same on the Netgear page.  You may not see any of the specific numbers you posted on the Netgear page.

As for the other one you posted about I have no clue.

edit to add: when I go to my routher set up I see a similar #:: entry for my Android phone (and other devices), although none of them are the IP address I see in the phone settings.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 May 2015 - 01:31 PM.

#5 Wizzlmang

Wizzlmang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

managed to confirm it was my sister's phone by turning off the wifi on the phones to see which ones disappeard from the list. The web shield should only pick up on url's my computer connects to.

Anyway, if thats the case, why does the signal keep repeating unless I reset the router? is it a problem with the router or the phone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users