Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 does not let me make changes in a folder

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jpc100

jpc100

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

All, I have a computer that I built from scratch,It has two hard drives a 128 Samsung SSD on which I have Windows 7(the c drive) and a1T seagate sata drive (g drive) which i use to store programs and data. The problem is that on the Seagate drive the folder entitled programs will not allow any changes to be made, can't add, delete or change anything in the folder or subfolders- gives an error message saying you don't have permission, thus programs stored there can't be updated. This is the only folder on this drive that has this problem . It works fine until a couple weeks ago when I put on a virus program called avira, then decided to upgrade to the Pro version, it would not install correctly so I called tech support he remotely went into my computer and I think messed it up. Help! how do I restore the permissions so I can make changes in this folder.

After several peoples help they think it is a windows issue and not a malware or virus issue

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2015 - 05:06 PM.
Moved from AII to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hi jpc100 :)

One thing you could try is to run Windows Repair AIO, and use the "Reset file/folder permission" option on it. Just make sure that the drive where the folder is is checked under the option and run the repair. If it's really a permission issue, this should fix it. Otherwise, it means that a program or something else is probably modifying the permissions right away.

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Reset files/folders permissions - Check all the drives;
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hi Again Louis and Aura

here is snapshot link

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pTNJnhSdDDpeFmVugpfkYMe

Aura  the last person(alex) to try to help, had me run the windows repair program it did find some things but when i ran it again this time it said it found no problems

thanks...

John

#5 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

aura, resetting the permissions did not fix the problem

John

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

Download and add the "Take Ownership" Registry edit to your system.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Once done, right-click on the Programs folder and select Take Ownership. After that, are you able to do anything in it?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

Aura,  the take ownership program did not work either, only thing you can do is read or run the programs, can't change anything

John

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

If you check the permissions on that folder, do the "User" and/or "Admin" groups have "Total Control" or even "Modify" rights on it?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

under the security tab, permissions,  most everyone has full control or 1 user has checked "modify"

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

Are you able to use the Take Ownership script on individual folders inside the Programs one or not?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

just tried to do it and it does not work

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

Let's do an experiment. Take one of the folder inside the Programs folder, and copy it somewhere else. Once done, are you able to modify that folder and its content freely?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

i copied a subfolder called aduacity to a folder created on desktop and i can make any changes i want in the new folder

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

I don't know if a System Restore can restore old permissions, but you could give it a try. Like restoring to before you had this issue and see if it works.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 jpc100

jpc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

will not do a system restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users