Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It My Graphics Card, Or Something Else?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

So let me begin by saying this.
I have 3 computers. 2 desktops and a laptop.
--The laptop is a Gateway running fine, I use it for watching DVD's and TV and things like that. It's running on Windows XP Home Service Pack 2.
--The first desktop, running on a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card. This is the computer I've been having the trouble with. It's running on Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, it has a 1.50GHz processor on Intel Pentium 4. 1 gig of ram.
--The second desktop is currently running the smoothest. It's on an ATI Radeon 9550 Pro graphics card. I think it has 1024mb of RAM, but I can't really check right now. It's on a 2.40GHz processor, Intel Pentium 4. Windows XP Home Edition SP 2.
To make things easier, I'll refer to the first desktop as 9800, and the second as 9550.

Now then, I've had the 9800 computer since 1999, and I've been upgrading to it since. When I first got it, it was really nice, it ran everything I needed (I'm a hardcore gamer, and at the time I was addicted to Starcraft, so it didn't require much to run being that it was quite a low spec game.) But lately, I've been trying to run Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, which as many know are very high spec games. Radeon 9800 should cover that, as I thought. Now then. 9550 can run CS:Source with absolutely amazing results. I can get almost 100 fps without even having to stare at a wall. With the 9800, however, it lags like holy hell. Even if I do stare directly at the ground, not even moving, the highest I'll get is 60 fps. The 9800, as far as I know, is better than the 9550, and yet the 9800 can't manage to run HL2 or CS:Source while the 9550 can run it with ease.

I'm not sure if this is caused by the processor being slow on one and pretty good on the other, or something else. I honestly don't know.

If anyone knows any reason why this is (it could be viruses, but I've ran a bunch of scans so I doubt it) or it could be the processor being only 1.5GHz on the 9800 and 2.4GHz on the 9550. I have about $400 that I'm willing to put into getting this (9800) computer to work.

Any suggestions is thanked greatly, because this has been the only thing really bugging me lately.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

I have an nVidia 7900 GT Graphics Card, and I too play CS:S. I noticed on my old(er) computer that I was able to get around 70 fps on relatively low settings. On my new computer, the one with the 7900, I'm able to play CS:S on all maxed settings, but I too get only 60 fps max. I don't know whether it's the monitor with a refresh rate of 60Hz, or one of the settings limiting it to 60 fps.

Try turning your setting all the way down and see if it goes above 60 fps. If not, then it may be a sort of cap (hardware or software I don't know.) I wouldn't sweat it too much, once you get above 60 fps the boost isn't terribly noticeable.

Posted Image

#3 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:48 PM

But the thing is, my parents are divorced, and the computer that can run CS:S nice is at my mom's house, and I spend more time at my dad's house (with the 9800 computer) than I do at my mom's. In fact, I won't be at my mom's house for the next 3 weeks, otherwise I wouldn't have a problem.

Nonetheless, all of my settings on the 9800 computer are all as low as possible. The settings on the 9550 computer are all at about average, some on high. The fps cap is off and I have that in my config file so it'll always be set that the fps cap in CS:S is 99999.
The problem is, I only get 60fps on this computer (the 9800 one) if I stare directly at the ground. But my refresh rate on this monitor is also at 60Hz. I think that the graphics card could go higher, but my monitor starts getting screen tears if I go above that. I've been kind of wanting a new monitor for a while, but I'm still interested in finding out the exact route of the problem.

Posted Image

#4 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

Sorry. I'm bumping this because the problem is annoying as hell.

Posted Image

#5 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:28 AM

TBH M8 Your post confused the Hell out of me too much superfluous information

My solution would be (and often has been)
Take Both Puters to your dads (with your Laptop)
Take out CD/DVD drives, HDD's Graphics . . . everything PSU included

REMEMBER with PSU's the one with the bigger output may not be the better Puters Like a STEADY flow of power. Use this PSU Calculator
Choose the best HDD CD/DVD etc If your not sure find model numbers and Google.

Then start puttung ONE Game rig While doing this you may also find that one HDD is so Slow its causing a bottleneck or may be on its last legs.
Approx lifespan of HDD 5 years
All the leftovers would be either binned or put together and taken to mums

GL Hope ur pwning soon
K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#6 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

Thanks, AmBush. I can't test it right now since I'm in the middle of some college campus on a sort of vacation thing while my dad works. Either way, I think you might have a point on the HDD lifespan of 5 years. My old Harddrive (the one I've had for 7 years) I rarely even use since it only has 37gb on it. So I'll try removing that when I get home and I'll see if that solves anything.
Thanks.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users