Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB 3046002 buggy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

I and another user have had problems recently with windows updates, which we both think were due to KB3046002. Personally I found it failed when I tried to install it amngst a bunch of other updates, then failed at the point of download when I tried to install it again after the restart from those other updates, and then when I tried to use windows update troubleshooter to fix this windows update became unable to check for updates at all. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing, recently, can anyone be sure if it was this update to blame or perhaps another one, or just a random unlucky occurence?

This update is a security one for protecting against some form of remote code execution attacks (specifically ones involving windows journal) so it's not one which users want to go without, and if it is buggy someone needs to contact microsoft and report this issue.

I fixed my issues with windows update but haven't yet tried reinstalling this one again, I'm trying it again shortly. I don't know if the other user http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576092/windows-update-kb3046002/ was so lucky and able to get everything working again.

Reports of whether others have had problems would be helpful.
Thanks

Edited by rp88, 14 May 2015 - 04:14 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

I don't have it installed right now, but my system is set to install Windows Updates on the next restart since I have some pending. I'll see if it appears after.

and if it is buggy someone needs to contact microsoft and report this issue.

You know that you can do it yourself, right? Usually, posting in the Microsoft forums about the update and asking the other user's input and a check-up does the job.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

EDIT: just installed it myself again, it worked this time, no problems, KB3046002 hasn't even asked for a restart actually, though I'll do one shortly just to confirm. This time it's certainly got further on the install than it did last time, maybe last time it was conflicting with something due to it being installed at the same time as something else?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

There's so many possibilities that I guess pinpointing the exact one is impossible. As long as it works, it's good if you ask me.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users